Historical War Militaria Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Jerry B

Carmarthen Pals 14/15 Star medal

A 15 star from a split trio to Frederick Thomas #21024:  I live in Carmarthenshire these days and I had long wanted a medal to the local pals Bn.  This came from the collection of the author Steve John who has written two books on the subject, The Carmarthen Pals and Carmarthen in the Great War, both of which I have in my library.

A 1914/15 Star to Private Frederick Thomas (21024), 15th (Carmarthen) Battalion, Welsh Regiment. Frederick was one of the original members of the 15th Battalion, Welsh Regiment (known as the Carmarthen Pals) and landed in France with the Battalion on 2 December 1915. He probably served with the battalion during its famous assault on Mametz Wood in July 1916 but at some time later was medically downgraded, either due to wounds or sickness, and transferred to the Labour Corps. A nice chance to purchase a medal to one of the Carmarthen Pals. Also entitled to the British War and Victory Medals, which are missing.

15th (Service) Battalion (Carmarthenshire)
Oct 1914 Formed by the Carmarthenshire County Committee as part of the 129th Brigade of the 43rd Division and then moved to Rhyl.
29.04.1915 Formation became the 114th Brigade of the 38th Division.
Aug 1915 Moved to Winchester.
Dec 1915 Mobilised for was and landed at Havre and engaged in various actions on the Western Front including;
The Battle of Albert. (The Division suffered severe casualties and took the rest of the year to rebuild).
The Battle of Pilkem, The Battle of Langemark. 
The Battle of Albert, The Battle of the Bapaume, The Battle of Havrincourt, The Battle of Epehy, The Battle of Beaurevoir, The Battle of Cambrai, The Battle of the Selle, The Battle of the Sambre. 
11.11.1918 Ended the war at Ecuelin east of Aulnoye, France.

I have not taken my own pics yet as I have been in work and its late when I got in today.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

• Like 1

Thanks  for posting  another  great  piece  Jerry.

Carmarthenshire  I  know  quite  well  and it is  a beautiful  part of  the  world. Amazing  to  think Frederick  Thomas  left  that  beautiful  part of  Wales  to  fight in  the  horrors of  the  western  front

Jim

Thanks  for posting  another  great  piece  Jerry.

Carmarthenshire  I  know  quite  well  and it is  a beautiful  part of  the  world. Amazing  to  think Frederick  Thomas  left  that  beautiful  part of  Wales  to  fight in  the  horrors of  the  western  front

Jim

I live there Jim, and it is a beautiful part of Wales, peaceful rolling fields of green.

At least he made it back, if not quite in one piece, but still he got home.

I have now taken my own pics of it.

The obverse

The naming

in the sellers packing

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this