Historical War Militaria Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Marcus H

Lovat Scouts

An others ranks bonnet badge (Clan Fraser crest), white-metal, from c. 1903 - onwards.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Imperial Yeomanry (I.Y.), other ranks, slouch hat badge in gilding-metal; worn attached to a black horsehair plume, c. 1903-1908.

Plus, the exact same size and pattern of badge with lugs was worn as a collar badge.

This pattern can also be found in white-meta (obverse pic below)l for what are known to be Pipers collars (Full Dress only, approx 1907-1908 for this very pattern, although very likely in use for a longer duration) and in bronze for officers' (Officers Service Dress)

Note: on this example the stags antlers reside within the circlet, whereas on some examples the stags antlers protrude into the circlet - see officers badges in following post for the difference.

(Non-voided centre example shown later)

Imperial Yeomanry: a die cast, Officers Service Dress (OSD) bronze pattern badge with blades, c. 1903-1908; use of this pattern (IY) is believed in a - perhaps limited - quantity to have been used post 1908, also.

Imperial Yeomanry: a die cast, silver plate badge with blades, which is believed to be an officers badge of the Regimental Staff and for use with the khaki peaked forage cap.

For reference: not a cap badge, but often described as one by sellers/dealers, this is a gilt collar badge for the Officers' Mess Dress, c. 1906-1908, for this IY pattern; however, use of in reality would be of an extended period.

Post-1908, Yeomanry (Y), the use of this pattern "collar" is evident through into the Second World War.

A selection of other ranks cap/collar badges:

- The die cast (solid) badge could possibly be a cap badge - during WW1 - alternatively as a collar too.

- The "gilt" looking example I suspect was a collar only.

- A white-metal collar that is possibly silver plate, this I believe is a Pipers collar and this such pattern in use stems from an inception of 1908 - by design - and the late 1930s is the only date so far I can positively attest to its use still, but I again suspect an extension into the 1940s.

- A Great War period photograph showing the "Y" pattern collars in wear.

A gilding-metal, other ranks "collar size" cap badge on a slider (or vertical shank), the date for this variations inception is unknown, but possibly within the very incipient years or months of the Great War, only?

To date, or that I'm aware of, this is the only distinct obverse design of this pattern of badge to have a slider attached - such examples can also be found with the lugs on the reverse too.

No further information is yet known, that I know of at the time of posting.

Follow links for better quality images of the cap badge being worn:

http://www.avoch.org/content/lovat-scouts

http://www.loudwatersystems.co.uk/LestWeForget/LestWeForget.html

Officers Service Dress (OSD) badges in bronze, c. 1908 - onwards.

- An example with the antlers within the circlet on blades, worn on the officers peaked service cap. The same pattern was used during the 1940s too. It may be of interest that when comparing other examples this very OSD badge comes from a J. R. Gaunt die.

- A cast example on lugs (or loops) which I estimate is either a cap or collar in use. Both the lugs and blades appear to have been used on service caps. Some references note that the Lovat Scouts officers' did not wear OSD collars until a time in the Great War (?), I have found pictorial evidence of such being worn as collars during the war, but not before 1914. However, this could relate to the uniform changes of 1909-1910, as collars of a "type" can be seen worn by an officer in a picture circa 1908-1909.

*Further research is required and as such notes should be taken as a guide and ongoing study.

What is termed as a "larger size" cap badge in references and on sales sites.

However, to my knowledge there is nothing to substantiate this claim and I believe this badge is a sporran decoration, not a head-dress badge.

Therefore, I'll add this example, but until identified and verified in use I personally exclude this badge from the collection.

Third picture: depiction of the badge in question and a conventional collar/cap for size comparison.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this