Historical War Militaria Forum

Just got the 24th Lancers [thanks Malcom].

The 22nd Dragoons has been converted from slider to lugs.

The 23rd Hussars has a small strengthening piece soldered to the reverse where the crown attaches.

Graham.  

Please login or register to see this attachment.

• Like 2

26th Hussars, fakes have a flaw on the breast feathers and the slider is not tapered behind the head.

Attached is a genuine one

One to tease, Officers Gilt 26th Hussars

A Firmin made example of the 23rd Hussars

• Like 2

Cracking badges, Graham.

Your 23H is from a Gaunt die and in my provincial diction I call this very one the "fat slider," and it can also be encountered devoid of the additional support bars. And then the only other frequently found Gaunt die OR badge is for purposes what I identify as the "long" slider variant, also on occasion found with support bars - perhaps less often in my experience.

The 22D is also from a Gaunt die (factory applied lugs, although yet to be attributed in wear) and the 24L a Firmin badge with the central - crown - positioned slider.

And Malc...I just love the 26H gilt badge. I have five gilt officers' collars only (variants and one set), but the cap badge has been a right so-and-so to find for my collection.

Best,

Marcus

Gaunt and Firmin pairs

• Like 1

Marcus. Thanks for your input. The 'stub' can be seen where the slider has been removed on the 22nd Dragoons badge. The lugs have been attached with what looks like lead solder [silver colour].

You say this was carried out in the factory. Is this something that is known to have happened ?

Thanks.

Graham.

Hi Graham,

It's okay, I'm using my phone and I certainly didn't pay enough attention to detail!

Your "blob" on the reverse is at 7 o'clock (a perceived good indicator on the slider Gaunt OR badges - why the different blob positioning...?) not the 9 o'clock position, as they all seem to be on the north - south lugged OR badges. Plus I can see remnants of the braze compared to solder more clearly too - my cock-up in haste there. So, likely a "conversion" of sorts, as you say; is there any background story to this badge?

This is the "deemed" factory example by Gaunt and I suppose in all honesty the jury is still out on these very (9 o'clock blob) versions, but I think there's a somewhat divided consensus overall - I like them personally, but not without some niggle of reservation, at this moment in time. I have yet to find such blob traits on so called restrikes or other reproductions of a type, so far.

However, I do not like in any way, shape or form the "cast" (rough reverse) looking examples with either slider or when with lugs - third picture. I speculate these to be of Asian origin and I've had this one for thirty years now.

What I will add out of interest: on the Trial Pattern 22D by Gaunt (not Firmin as is referenced in a publication) there is no trace of either "blob" - see pic, 4.

Best,

Marcus

• Like 2

These  badges  are  truly  superb. Many  thanks  for  posting.

This  area of  collecting is  fascinating and  the expertise  demonstrated on  this  forum is  outstanding

Jim

Marcus.

Good to know my 7 o'clock 'blob' is a good sign. No storey to the badge I know of, just a flea market find.

Thanks

Graham.

Here's a few more Arm Badges:

Two examples of the 25th Dragoons, the left badge being attributed and you can just see it being worn in this portion of the original photograph.

• Like 1

Great badges and knowledge shown.

I love the XXVI officers gilt badge, truly superb and very rare it seems.

A nice 27th Lancers Maker Mark Firmin

27th Lancers Officers Collars

27th Lancers Officers Silver & Gilt, not sure about this one the back looks like it once had a slider, comments welcomed

• Like 1

Hi Malc,

Your officers 27L silver & gilt cap badge is a perfect text book example for these patterns, mine are exactly the same too, of this very type - some with provenance.

As your time permits could you show the reverse of the 27L collars please, as I have several variations and I know I'm missing a couple of "patterns;" that is, the "solid" backed collars of a description.

Best,

Marcus

• Like 1

Many thanks Marcus for the info on my Officers Silver and Gilt badge, and as requested the backs of my 27th Lancers Officers Collars solid backs.

Malc

• Like 1

Cracking! Thank you, Malc. That's a stunning set. Yes, I think these and the "rivet" type I'm missing; in fact, there was a nice set sold on the Brit Forum I missed - I was spitting feathers lol

Best,

Marcus

• Like 1

I have recently borrowed [thanks Malcom]  'For Hostilities Only' by Peter Seamen. A fantastically well researched reference covering the History and insignia of these regiments. I will be ordering a copy asap.

I will be digging deeper into the badges of these regiments as funds permit !

Graham 

• Like 1

Hi Graham,

My copy of this book is getting somewhat tatty now, as I've gone through it and read it many, many times - let me know when you're thinking about getting a copy and I'll put you in contact with the chap who now has all the surplus books. That is, you can't get them directly from Peter anymore.

Best,

Marcus

- 27L ORs badge with the original backing.

- 27L Arm Badge with original backing

- Officers embroidered side cap badge

• Like 1

The WRC are the only regiments that I seriously collect the collars, shoulder titles, slip-on titles, arm badges and buttons, etc. These somewhat unceremoniously placed for the moment and yet incomplete 25th Dragoons cloth slip-on titles are difficult to find and rarely sold/found in pairs - hence a mix-match of some examples.

I always think it's a shame to see such genuine pairs of slip-on titles that have survived being together for over seventy-odd years to be then separated and sold as singles. Hopefully, one day I can reunite at least one of my 25D slip-on examples with the original matching title, as I'm aware of the collection it's housed in.

• Like 2

A few 26th Hussars:

- An Indian made badge on the cloth backing, a pagri flash an with Indian made badge and lastly a British made, Gaunt marked badge on the supplied backing cloth.

- Three Indian manufactured badges on s slider with the middle badge being the elusive first pattern badge.

- Officers No. 1 dress and OSD collars.

• Like 2

Just got this o/r's 27th Lancers. Firmin London marked with strengthening behind lances.

Graham

• Like 2

A very nice unflawed "2," "semi-hollow," Firmin marked badge - they don't get any better than good conditioned examples like this!

Best,

Marcus

• Like 1

I'm struggling to title the pictures in one post.

These are in my opinion the common "variations" to be encountered of the 27L, Firmin, ORs badge.

I say variations, however it is likely all the badges emanate from the same die due to traits observed on both the obverse and reverse of all, but as to why there are these differences I can only really guess?

Does anyone have any more informed ideas on the manufacture of these? Or rather, why perhaps the differences?

My actual working knowledge is minimal, although I grasp fundamentally on how they are manufactured, so could the "semi-hollow" types with the pronounced relief be a result of marginally less gilding-metal introduced into the process, maybe?

1. Firmin, "semi-hollow" with the scooped recess area behind the elephants head.

• Like 1

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.