Argunners Magazine

The replacement lug to the left and original to the right. 

So there you have it. Should you encounter any of these they are original unissued badges but they have been relugged. I thought it was worth documenting this for future reference. 

Graham.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

• Like 2

Good points, Graham👍

I love the box, too...!!!

And, if you encounter a badge with braze deposits in the reverse wingtip area adorning a slider, be aware - it’s likely one of these that’s been ‘enhanced.’  

I have recently acquired a second 24th Lancers Officers No1 dress collar badge, which completes this set.

Graham.  

• Like 2

Stunning👍

And well done. I just love these officers’ No. 1 Dress 24L badges.

Graham, your badges display every attribute in detail that a period and genuine badge should display for such examples. 

• Like 2

I have recently picked up another 24th Lancers OSD collar badge which completes the set.

• Like 2

Come to think of it: what’s that now a complete set of cap and collar ORs, officers’ gilt/enamel and OSD, too, to the 24L. 

Well done👍

Righty, you need another ORs collar - blast and  bugger I knew of a dealer in Canada that had two for sale more recently than not. 

Still, you must be very satisfied with those examples, so far. 

• Like 1

That picture has not come out well. Downloaded from my phone. Seem to get better results from my laptop.

Marcus, I was thinking the w/m collar badge was officers. [Going by Seamans].

Graham.

A recent gift from Marcus. (Many thanks). An osd, die struck bronzed collar badge. (Left). With an o/r's for comparison. 

Regarding the white-metal die-stamped collars,  I firmly believe they were originally and intentionally made for ORs use, but as you know the wearing of such collars in the 24L wasn’t sanctioned for the ORs. 

Also, I’m of the distinct impression the collars were manufactured as to were the arm badges and supplied in a quantity to the regiment. That is, I suspect more than envisaged and proposed from earlier research and thoughts.

It’s not my intention to dismiss the probability that indeed officers’ utilised such intended ORs examples; perhaps even silverplating them, too. I don’t honestly know about that. However, Peter Seaman conducted a lot more research into these regiments and had living contacts to address such queries.

*Just to note: Fig. 38 in Seaman’s are are actually the silver plated examples,  I own that very set pictured in the book; they're die-cast and resemble the OSD/enamel collars traits. Whereas Fig. 39 portrays the white-metal collars - he has those two sets mixed-up.

On the other hand, I actually know of several veterans (ORs) effects with the families that include the die-stamped collars. Plus, a private museum with an attributed group including an arm badge and two collars,  then of course my 24L group that includes an ORs pattern collar.  Some of these collars have been altered with a brooch fitting - the assumption being either sweetheart conversions or post-1945, usage in wear.

So conjecture and theory aside  the die-stamped collars are more evident than not  in the belongings of former 24L ORs. Possibly they were issued - at a time - prior to the RAC directives not permitting the wear of; or, these non-returned items to Ordnance (technically they should have been) were distributed to the troops accounting for those converted in a fashion with a pin fitting.

Then out of interest we have a S/NCO wearing the collars and an arm badge on his wedding day in 1942,  I posted that picture on the BBF. The wearer was a founding NCO of the regiment and an ex-17/21L; incidentally the museums group also belonged  to a former 17/21L NCO. 

The wedding photo is likely an exception under the circumstances and I don’t conclude anything further from such an interesting picture. 

These are pretty much my thoughts and limited findings, to date. 

Pics below: a selection of collars with lugs and pin fittings.

The last pictures are of the example obtained within a 24L group; this Lancer was a founding member from the first conscript intake in late December 1940.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Graham said:

A recent gift from Marcus. (Many thanks). An osd, die struck bronzed collar badge. (Left). With an o/r's for comparison. 

You are most welcome and its found a good home in your collection. 

There’s  a lot more bronze finish left on the badge than the sellers pics conveyed - it looks great! 

Best,

Marcus 

Row 2 (second from the top) and lastly row 6, I have finally managed to reunite the original matching pairs - they were sold separately five or six years ago.

Only row 5 to complete and reunite with its original slip.

The first, or top row, these are officers slips bordered with a thin golden/yellow material. Obviously these are not a pair, thus a “matched pair,” it’s very unlikely I will ever encounter their original singles. Alas, i’m more than content to have two such examples of these rather scarce slip-on shoulder titles. 

Its a good feeling and a collectors  personal achievement  to reunite these slips back to the original period pairs - albeit the hunt continues. 

• Like 2

Another matched pair, but to the 24th Lancers - a pretty scarce title to find actually, is the 24L. 

The top example comes from a 24L group that I own, and the moth attacked example I bought at a recent auction.

• Like 2

My 25th Dragoons slip on shoulder titles.   

Top. Officers.

Mid. o/r's. Worn on everything except walking out dress and dress blues.

Bot. o/r,s. Worn on khaki drill  for walking out.         

• Like 1

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.