Historical War Militaria Forum

Dear Medal Experts,

I've just joined and this is my first post and HELP IS NEEDED please!

I've attached a picture of a Belgium or French commemorative type medal (but I stand to be corrected) awarded to Cpl 3564 Joseph Lucien AUTHIER of the French 141 Infantry Regiment WW1, who also served later during WW2 in the French (or Belgium) Administration Service, so it could be a civic medal of the WW2 era? It is nowhere to be found on the Net.

Of three medals awarded to him, the mystery medal is placed last next to his French Croix de Guerre, but this might be a mistake by the framer. I also believe it might be on the wrong ribbon? These things happen in families over time.

This medal is virtually identical to the Belgium 75th Anniversary Commemorative Medal for employment in the Telegraph Service (which has a light grey ribbon with red edges) except in this case the centre device is simply a wreath instead of the fleur de lys.

I would be most grateful if you could identify it for me please.

Regards Lyndale

Please login or register to see this attachment.

• Like 2

Thanks Stuk Af,

This seems to be the general opinion from others I've posed this question to, which only leaves which country and which private military association?

In the opinion of the USA Federation of French War Veterans Associations, it's definitely not French, leaving Belgium the best guess.

I appreciate your valued contribution,

Cheers Lyndale in Australia. 

On 15-4-2016 at 0:45 AM, Lyndale said:

Dear Medal Experts,

I've just joined and this is my first post and HELP IS NEEDED please!

I've attached a picture of a Belgium or French commemorative type medal (but I stand to be corrected) awarded to Cpl 3564 Joseph Lucien AUTHIER of the French 141 Infantry Regiment WW1, who also served later during WW2 in the French (or Belgium) Administration Service, so it could be a civic medal of the WW2 era? It is nowhere to be found on the Net.

Of three medals awarded to him, the mystery medal is placed last next to his French Croix de Guerre, but this might be a mistake by the framer. I also believe it might be on the wrong ribbon? These things happen in families over time.

This medal is virtually identical to the Belgium 75th Anniversary Commemorative Medal for employment in the Telegraph Service (which has a light grey ribbon with red edges) except in this case the centre device is simply a wreath instead of the fleur de lys.

I would be most grateful if you could identify it for me please.

Regards Lyndale

Please login or register to see this attachment.

its the belgium crown order

Hello Raoul, many thanks for your help identifying the 'mystery medal', which I agree must be Belgium and has the same Maltese Cross and plain red ribbon as Knight Class of the Belgium Crown award. However, I discounted that it might be the Belgium Crown at the outset, because instead of a crown in the blue centre, it shows an open wreath, plus it's hanging ring is plain, whereas the Belgium Crown is an ornamented wreath. It could be that over time the hanging ring was replaced, but I'm stumped about the centre icon being an open wreath and not a crown. Investigating the various classes of the Belgium Crown, there are none that depict a central wreath. I'd be most interested to have your valued opinion if this medal is some earlier version of the Belgium Crown, or, as I suspect, was for some type of private organisation or association award, modelled on the Belgium Crown? 

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.