Historical War Militaria Forum

Another late war LW pilot, this time serving in an StG unit on the Ost front flying an Fw 190F-8 armed with Panzer-altered R4M rockets for Soviet armor destruction taken down by Soviet AAA or a fighter ........

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Hi Bill,

It's not a misprint. The village name "Gorodishche" (or variants) was widespread throughout the Soviet Union. I have come across a few non-Stalingrad ones during my research.

Jason

Really, huh. Thats good to know then.... Thanks alot. Its not the first time Ive ran into a Soviet-location problem, and wont be the last im sure!!

Guys, some more outstanding cards. Erwin, good of you to go pay respect....and glad to hear he was properly laid to rest.

Erich, look forward to hearing anymore info you find out about Herr Sattler.... And I like how you got your images to be larger..how do you do that!? Much easier to view

From my collection a Waffen-SS example, printed to remember a young soldier serving in the "Leibstandarte SS Adolf Hitler". Particularly nice in this card is the fact that the slip on LAH cypher on the shoulder strap is clearly visible. I have not had a chance to research this soldier as yet.

Regards Richard.

Another example, this time a Luftwaffe example recording the death of Feldwebl Otto Unertl.

Otto Unertl was a Flugzeugführer who was shot down by Flak in Messerschmitt Bf-109E-7 (Werk Nr. 4921) near Nauplion, Greece on 25-April-1941 flying with 9 Staffel, III./Jagdgeschwader 77.

The crash site was found by his friend and later RKT Emil Omert, who ensured his comrade received a suitable and fitting grave.

Regards Richard.

From my collection a Waffen-SS example, printed to remember a young soldier serving in the "Leibstandarte SS Adolf Hitler". Particularly nice in this card is the fact that the slip on LAH cypher on the shoulder strap is clearly visible. I have not had a chance to research this soldier as yet.

Regards Richard.

Hi Richard,

Very nice LSSAH card. Volksbund shows that Georg went missing on December 1, 1943 while in the region of Shitomir (Zhitomir). Probably a member of the 1st SS Panzer Division LSSAH, as they and the entire 48th Panzer Korps launched a large, fresh attack in the Zhitomir area starting on November 30th!

The JG77 card is also very interesting. Especially with shot of gravesite. Thanks for sharing and sorry it took so long to reply.

A card to Josef Reeb of Panzer Regiment 8. He was part of Rommels Afrika Korps and died in the battle of Tobruk in Libya. He was wounded on May 2, 1942 and died 22 days later in Cyrenaica.

krnauer001.jpg

I am also interested in U 67.

Searched for the three survivors.

Only to find the widow of the last survivor, her husband died 1 1/2 week before I was able to locacte him in Germany and made the contact.

Of the other two, one stayed in the USA after the war ended and the other returned to Germany.

Krönauer : many years ago a wowan in the USA was selling her man's militaria collection, there was no history for the halve dogtag, and she didn't have a story to go with the other items.
The tag was glued into one of her husband's scrapbooks and only mentioned German Navy ID.

The day that U 67 was sunk, after the sinking five men were seen in the water, buty only three men were picked up later.
Is it possible that the Krönauer dogtag halve was taken from a body as a souvenir by one of the US crewmembers ?

As this is the upper part of the dogtag I have no idea what happened to the lower part of it, maybe also taken as a souvenir by another US Navy man

Years later I saw that death card for sale on Epier, and it was a must have in combination with the halve dogtag, as now I did have a face of the man.

Krönauer isn't such a common name, and with such a first name .....!
There are only 8 persons with the name Krönauer mentioned on the Volksbund site and only one of them with the first name Benedikt and that is the man from the death card.
(and yes I know that the Volksbund data-base isn't complete)

We will never know what exactly happened with his body and his dogtag, the US Navy action- and after action- reports only mention that five men were seen in the water, and that later three of them were rescued, no mention of bodies seen in the sea, no bodies checked etc.

yours friendly

Eric-Jan

WOW Eric!! What an awesome find, both times. I think it must be Fate that brought the death card to you. And like you, I do believe that it is almost gauranteed to be his death card. The date of his death matches the date of the sinking of U-67 as well. A perfect match. Truly an awesome find for you. Another possible scenario with the dogtag would be that one of his komrades snapped half of it off Benedikt's body for proof of death, and had it with him when he was rescued? Number of possibilities, but an interesting grouping indeed. Thanks alot for sharing this group. Makes you wonder if these 2 items were ever together after the war, or is this the first time they have been united??

While Im here, I will share this grouping to:

Oberleutnant Werner Haringer of StuG Abt 203

He was killed in the Rzhev salient.......specifcally the 2nd Rzhev-Sychevka Offensive Operation (Operation Mars) on November 30, 1942. Operation Mars was to be planned concurrent with Operation Jupiter, which was to attack along the Moscow-Vyazma highway. Werner died in a Field Hospital in Sytschewka, where his body is still presumed to be.

WOW Eric!! What an awesome find, both times. I think it must be Fate that brought the death card to you. And like you, I do believe that it is almost gauranteed to be his death card. The date of his death matches the date of the sinking of U-67 as well. A perfect match. Truly an awesome find for you. Another possible scenario with the dogtag would be that one of his komrades snapped half of it off Benedikt's body for proof of death, and had it with him when he was rescued? Number of possibilities, but an interesting grouping indeed. Thanks alot for sharing this group. Makes you wonder if these 2 items were ever together after the war, or is this the first time they have been united??

Hi Bill,

Thank you for your reply.

While the Erkennungsmarke used to be around the neck of Benedikt Krönauer and the death card printed by the family after he went down with the U 67, I don't think that the two were ever together before.

Getting the halve dog tag in my collection was already a great one (well for me it was), getting the death card to it - after such a long time later from another auction site - was really great - as now I did also have a face to the dog tag, making it so much more personal.

Do know that those survivors were searched from top to bottom.

Enclosure:

(A) Identity disc of Leutnant Walter Otto.

(B) Specimen of oil gathered at scene of attack.

( C ) Two cans (contents undetermined) picked up at scene of attack.

(D) Debris picked up at scene of attack.

Name: OTTO, Walter. Rank: Lieutenant.

Service No: None. Identity Disc: "Walter Otto

Seeoffz - 1939"

Name: BURCK, Hans. Rate: Bootsmaat (Coxswain)

Service No: None. Identity Disc: None.

Name: YOUNEK, Walter. Rate: Matrosengefreiter (S2c)

Service No: None. Identity Disc: None.

The prisoners had practically no clothes when rescued for they had discarded most of them in the water before the plane threw them life jackets. As a result, the MERRIMACK furnished all three with an outfit consisting of the following:

Clothing and Small Stores

1 No Belt, woven .25

1 No Comb, .05

1 Pr Drawers, nain .35

2 No Hankerchiefs .16

1 No Shirt, chambray .75

1 Pr Shoes, low 4.50

2 Pr Socks, cotton .40

1 No Undershirt .35

$ 6.81

Ship's Store

1 No Brush, tooth .13

1 Tube Cream, dental .28

1 Bar Soap, facial .06

4 Pkg Cigarettes, TF .18

$ .65

TOTAL COST PER PERSON $ 7.46

The officer was subsisted from the Wardroom mess and the two enlisted men from the general mess.

Well even when the men would wear their own clothing and even when they would be picked up dry......everything from their body would be removed.

Best regards

Eric-Jan

Oh wow, okay. I read the action report, but didnt find much info on the survivors themselves. Very interesting. I really wish you got the chance to speak to the last survivor, that would have been great. I wonder if a US Navy man had the opportunity to pocket the disc, without it ever being recorded? Makes me even more curious as to how the disc ended up in the States. In my opinion, this is why alot of us collect.....to help preserve history...even down to the personal level. Love it!

Oh wow, okay. I read the action report, but didnt find much info on the survivors themselves. Very interesting. I really wish you got the chance to speak to the last survivor, that would have been great. I wonder if a US Navy man had the opportunity to pocket the disc, without it ever being recorded? Makes me even more curious as to how the disc ended up in the States. In my opinion, this is why alot of us collect.....to help preserve history...even down to the personal level. Love it!

Hi Bill,

Sorry for taking this thread from the road, but concerning souvenirs.........

Yes I was just too late.

For sure they did have the opportunity to get souvenirs in their hands.....

When the survivors of U 550 were taken aboard, CO Klaus Hänert's hand weapon was taken as a souvenir by one of the US Destroyer crewmembers.......the one who took it away from him did hide it, together with a friend.

Much - much later the weapon was sold to a collector.

He did make contact with Klaus Hänert and offered him his weapon back, Hänert was very surprised, but said that due to the German law concerning life weapons he couldn't receive it.

I do have photos of the Walther HSC numbered 706223, photos of the written statement by the former Destroyer crewmember, contact between the collector and former CO Klaus Hänert.

Also when U 505 was captured.......many US Navy men did have souvenirs taken from the German crewmembers.....and were ordered to handed in all material again by higher command.

Best regards

Eric-Jan

I also archive certain historical Sterbebild.

I've have attached three of my U boat ones.

Joe

One final one for today. I was expecting to spend some time on line today on the forum, but I just found out I have house guests coming over right now!

Joe

Awesome guys! Eric, that is really cool that he offered Klaus his Walther back. Incredible. He must have been shocked after all of those years. Really a great story that I thoroughly enjoyed! Loved the Max Busch story as well.

Joe, you have some very nice KM Sterbebilds as well. I Like the Anton Bergbauer one...

Here is one from Panzergrenadier Division Grossdeutschland

He was KIA in Novemeber 1943 when the Division was in the Krivoi Rog area. Josef Hertel was only 19 years old.

Next is a rare one.....to a Valentin Consdorf who started in a Grenadier Regiment, and died while a Forestry-Anwarter!

He died in July of 1944. His family wrote a nice message on the card.....

P/S - check out the Forestry uniform!

Joe, thank you for showing your uboatguys.

Bill, indeed a nice rare one with that forestry uniform.

best regards

Eric-Jan

I have just secured from this death card from Greatmilitaria.com he was KIA on January 4 1945 at Bras in the Ardennes and buried in Lommel.

Hello! I think the title name says it all: I'm looking for rare death cards, that may include RKTs and high-ranking officers KIA. 

Lets start! 

Hauptmann Erbo Graf von Kageneck 

• Like 1

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.