Historical War Militaria Forum

I know some dislike the collecting of "Death Cards", however alot can be learned from the right ones. A way to represent the sacrifice and acheivements of each soldier who died fighting.

Please show us some of your more interesting Death Cards......ones with unique or well-known Locations, Unit ID's, High Awards, Personalities, or ANY that you personally find interesting. Any info added is always better too!

Here is the Sterbebild of ERICH LINDNER of Panzer Regiment 35

An Unteroffizier Killed Northeast of Starkawa, Russia ? on August 4, 1944. He was only 20 years old. Any help on Starkawa's specific location would be appreciated.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Next is my personal favorite-

Wachtmeister Georg Langenberger of Sturm-Artillerie Brigade 239

\He was killed in Warsaw, Poland in October 26, 1943.

Note the rare Grey Panzer Beret in wear.

Obergefreiter HANS KRAUSof a Panzergrenadier Regiment

He was a highly decorated soldat, including the Nahkampfspange

Badly wounded in the East in July 1944, but died a month later in a Hospital in Breslau in Late August 1944. A true fighter

Next is my personal favorite-

Wachtmeister Georg Langenberger of Sturm-Artillerie Brigade 239

\He was killed in Warsaw, Poland in October 26, 1943.

Note the rare Grey Panzer Beret in wear.

All very nice examples Bill - however this one is just fantastic! As you said it's not very often that we see the field gray beret for Sturmgeschütz personnel in wear... That portrait photo is beautiful!

Great stuff! Thanks for sharing them with us.

Rob

Hi Rob. Yeah, it made it even better since he has numbered shoulderboards on....so i could make a unit ID! Thanks for looking and commenting

Obergefreiter Johann Meier , a Medic in a Panzergrenadier Regiment

He was killed during heavy defensive battles in the East in October of 1943

Wearing Feldgrau Wrap & blank tabs!

I also collect these cards,but only those who sadly ended their life here in Denmark,I'll go to the cemetetarys where the german soldiers are buried,and find there graveyards,I have about 40 deathcards of german soldiers,
all buried here in Denmark,
I have posted a few photos,they are not the best,Sorry for that.
Some people might call this a sick interest,but when I get a new card,I find it interesting to find the grave of the soldier.
Regards
J.Schmidt

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing those! I think it is great that you take the time to show respect for the men of the cards you collect. Us Collecting these is indeed a bit morbid, but at least the memories of these men are not just forgotten..... and as everyone knows, death plays a major role in all wars, which should not be overlooked.

Sad how Alvin Schorr died so late in the war. By any chance can you see a # on his boards?

Nice deathcards you both have there.

I am collecting deathcards for a few years now, all connected to the Battle of the Bulge and Eifel.

However I sold a large part (with very special ones) of my BotB deathcard collection, I still have some nice ones left.

At this moment I am only collection deathcards who fell in the region of Eifelkreis Bitburg-Prüm = my area of interest.

And offcourse cards with a 5th Fallschirmjäger Division connection.

Here a few.

KIA Villers-la-Bonne-Eau (Bastogne)

1-6.jpg

KIA Rocherath/Krinkelt

2-5.jpg

KIA Bizory (Bastogne)

6-4.jpg

KIA Luxembourg

3-4.jpg

KIA Malempré

4-4.jpg

KIA Wibrin

5-5.jpg

KIA Montenau/Stavelot

7-3.jpg

KIA Prüm

1761.jpg

KIA St.Vith

sb7.jpg

KIA Espeler/Burg Reuland

esplermalmedyss1-1.jpg

esplermalmedyss2-1.jpg

Here is a card from a Luftwaffe Pionier Anton Lang,what I find interesting about this card,is that they used a real photo which has been glued to the card.

Regards

J.Schmidt

To Bill T

About the Alvin Schorr card posted earlier in the thread,I cant see any numbers ect.on the boards.

Okay I said I only collect those from Denmark,not the exact true.

Here is a card from(notice the rank)Gefreiter in der SS Adolf HitlerLeib standarte Ferdinand Lengauer,killed in France in the beginning of the War,you can see the Dates of Death

is hand written and on the photo he is wearing the black uniform.

Regards

J.Schmidt

Here is a card from San=Gefr.Hermann Steegmann killed 5.9.1942,also a photo of his grave,his last name is missing an E on his grave,also two postcards the late Hermann Steegmann

send to his family in 1940.

Regards

J.Schmidt

The Steegmann family did also lost some relatives/friend during the war.

Heinrich Daniels age 52
SS Stürmmann Johann Daniels age 20
Feldwebel Peter Lammers age 24
Soldat Theodor Flintrop age 20.

Regards
J.Schmidt

Here is one more,its for a Staffel=Unterscharführer Paul Wettemann killed in a Terror attack 30.10.1944,I guess this man was in the Gestapo.
Regards
J.Schmidt

Wow Nick! Very impressive and well concentrated collection you have there. The time you put into finding them certainly shows! Very nice that you have the docs to accompany as well. Thanks for sharing

Schmidt, some very nice and rare ones as well. Never seen a Gestapo example. I like how you have a photo of the grave of Herr Steegman too

JOSEF ACKERMANN of Infanterie Regiment 95 (later Grenadier Rgt 95)

It says he was killed at GorodiSchtschje (Stalingrad) ??? in November of 1941. However this must be a misprint, since the unit was with Heeresgruppe Mitte (Army group Centre) in 1941, and the description below says he was attacking East of the Volga.
Also, it says his Gravesite is kinda near Rshev, which would make sense. Unless there is a GorodiSchtschje that I am unaware of.....I dont know what to make of this.

Anyway, there is a neat description inside the fold-out Death Card.

Rough Translation:

"In the fighting East of the Volga, Josef fell while attacking Gorodischtschje?? on November 3,1941. He was the first to burst into the village occupied by the Russians, and was wounded by a shot through the chest. He died from his serious wound at a field hospital I am losing my best Company and Platoon Leader"

- Oberleutnant and Kompanie commander - von Nolly

It says he was killed at GorodiSchtschje (Stalingrad) ??? in November of 1941.

Nice image on the deathcard. It won't be anywhere near Stalingrad though as the Germans didn't start the offensive to cross the Steppe and take the city until August 1942. It is probably a tiny village near Rzhev, possibly no longer in existance.

An Unteroffizier Killed Northeast of Starkawa, Russia ? on August 4, 1944. He was only 20 years old. Any help on Starkawa's specific location would be appreciated.

Do you have any other information for him being in Pz.Rgt 35? In 'Fire Brigades' by Kamen Nevenkin and in the history of Pz.Rgt 35 'Knights Cross Panzers' they describe Pz.Rgt 35 as fighting just to the east of Warsaw (Radzymin & Wolomin) in early August, not Russia, before heading north to Lithuania.

And just to add some more confusion to the item - this is his entry in Volksbund which gives two locations for his death - the first being Starzawa which is in southeast Poland near the border with Ukraine and also states his body is still located where it was originally buried near Bosodnyj (can't find that location). I am assuming that the Volksbund have mis-spelt the name of the place that is on the Death Card.

It says he was killed at GorodiSchtschje (Stalingrad) ??? in November of 1941.

Nice image on the deathcard. It won't be anywhere near Stalingrad though as the Germans didn't start the offensive to cross the Steppe and take the city until August 1942. It is probably a tiny village near Rzhev, possibly no longer in existance.

Exaclty Kevin, thats why I figured it must be a misprint. I think you are right about it being a small village, as it is the only thing that makes sense. Its just odd that there would be 2 of the same named locations.

Do you have any other information for him being in Pz.Rgt 35? In 'Fire Brigades' by Kamen Nevenkin and in the history of Pz.Rgt 35 'Knights Cross Panzers' they describe Pz.Rgt 35 as fighting just to the east of Warsaw (Radzymin & Wolomin) in early August, not Russia, before heading north to Lithuania.

And just to add some more confusion to the item - this is his entry in Volksbund which gives two locations for his death - the first being Starzawa which is in southeast Poland near the border with Ukraine and also states his body is still located where it was originally buried near Bosodnyj (can't find that location). I am assuming that the Volksbund have mis-spelt the name of the place that is on the Death Card.

Interesting Kevin, thanks for the info. I was able to make the unit ID from his shoulderboards being numbered 35. You may not be able to see it from the pixelated scan, but it is pretty clear in hand. However, this could be an earlier portrait taken of him that they used on his death card. It is very possible that he was transferred to a different unit before/after the portrait was taken.

Thanks for lookng into this too. I will have to dig a little deeper into it and see what I can come up with on top of the great lead you have given me!

Thanks to the Volksbund, Turns out Josef Ackermann was killed in Kalinin, or Tver to be precise. So this makes sense now.

Exaclty Kevin, thats why I figured it must be a misprint. I think you are right about it being a small village, as it is the only thing that makes sense. Its just odd that there would be 2 of the same named locations.

Hi Bill,

It's not a misprint. The village name "Gorodishche" (or variants) was widespread throughout the Soviet Union. I have come across a few non-Stalingrad ones during my research.

Jason

Here is one from my collection which is part of a larger group. This deathcard is from Heinz Drauschke. He was a member from Fallschirm Regiment Hubner and he was killed in action on 18 september 1944 in the village of Stokkem/Dilsen. Today he rests in Lommel War Cemetry (Belgium) together with his comrades from the regiment who were also killed that day in the village. A few days before his death he wrote some letters to his parents. His commander reported him as missing and that he was most probably taken prison by the American troops. But he never returned after the war. Instead his parents got the message after the war, from the Red Cross , that their son was found and identified in Stokkem (Belgium).

I have visited his grave because his resting place is not far from my home. This was the least i could do

Best

Erwin

Excellent cards Gentlemen

Here is a rare one, former pilot flying the Ta 12H-1in the Geschwaderstab of JG 301 my cousins LW unit, possibly shot down by British Tempests, possibly an engine shut-down/malfunction - blower exploded, more research in the works.

Major Wilheim Milcher.... Died as POW in Kharkov ( 11-01-1949)

Hauptmann 01.03.38 MILCHER Wilhelm 30.10.1900-11.01.1949 (Inf.Reg.19) Major (01.01.42)

http://www.panzer-archiv.de/forum/print.php?t=8699&start=30

Death card + photo....

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.