Historical War Militaria Forum
edaniel

Japanese Instrument of Surrender WWII Photostat Copy

When I was 12 year old, about 18 years ago now, I was given an interesting document from my grandfather who was stationed in Manila during WWII.  He worked as a photostat operator in his time in the Philippines.  After the official surrender ceremony on the USS Missouri and signing of the document, the surrender document was flown to my grandfather's station in Manila where he was tasked to make copies of the document.  

The process of a photostat machine is to take a picture of the document with a fairly long exposure, then transpose the image onto paper via fixing baths and a solution as well as drying process.  

After my grandfather completed all of the copies commanded of him, he took photos of the 2 pages leaving the negative undeveloped (surrender document & the other page of signatures) and once everyone was gone from the base he made himself a copy of the surrender document.  His commanding officer found out about him making a copy for himself and they next day told him he would not reprimand him as long as he made his C.O. a copy of his copy, which he did. 

This document was given to me a few years ago and I have kept it in a dark box.  The document still seems in very good shape and is clearly visible with signatures.  It was recently brought up in conversation with my family and it has me wondering if I should be insuring the document or displaying it.  Since it is a copy I'm not sure of the value of the document, but in some quick research I did find that copies are on display in the National Archives as well as Edo Tokyo Museum.

I've searched for reputable appraisal places, but there are so many that I'm not sure if I should just hang it up and not worry about it anyways.  Since it is a copy I have no idea if it is worth anything, but more than money it is a great lasting memory of my grandfather. 
  • Like 1

I have been researching a facsimile of the Instrument for many years.  Please contact me so that we can compare. 

Karen

On 7/15/2016 at 2:44 PM, PeterPaul said:

hi ED, I sure would love to see a picture of this document :)

Hi Ed,  Are you still researching the Instrument of Surrender?  what does the first page look like?   Please contact me to compare stories. 

Many collectors might be interested.  Thank you, Karen