Historical War Militaria Forum
Martin W.

KM with Edelweiss emblem.

When i picked up this photo i had a feeling that it might be U-Boat related,Narvik related,or even both.

Turns out it maybe both.

After browsing through Georg Hogel's book "U-Boat Emblems of WWII" I found this quote by RK winner,KL Wilhelm Schulz.

"The crew came from U-64,sunk at Narvik.When we went to sea with U-64 we had no idea how our emblem ought to look.Through the Narvik operation we then came,after the sinking of the boat,into contact with the mountain riflemen,who did a fine job of rescuing us.My people were then given the edelweiss emblem,and wore it on their caps at first.When we then,having returned home via Sweden,were to put U-124 into service,the crew expressed the wish to bear the edelweiss as our tower emblem.This thought was then put into action".

So,i have have to think this crewman was from the U-64 and maybe later the U-124 ?

Still,a nice photo IMO.Note the lack of the eagle and cockade insignia on  the cap.

Regards,Martin.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

• Like 1

When i picked up this photo i had a feeling that it might be U-Boat related,Narvik related,or even both.

Turns out it maybe both.

After browsing through Georg Hogel's book "U-Boat Emblems of WWII" I found this quote by RK winner,KL Wilhelm Schulz.

"The crew came from U-64,sunk at Narvik.When we went to sea with U-64 we had no idea how our emblem ought to look.Through the Narvik operation we then came,after the sinking of the boat,into contact with the mountain riflemen,who did a fine job of rescuing us.My people were then given the edelweiss emblem,and wore it on their caps at first.When we then,having returned home via Sweden,were to put U-124 into service,the crew expressed the wish to bear the edelweiss as our tower emblem.This thought was then put into action".

So,i have have to think this crewman was from the U-64 and maybe later the U-124 ?

Still,a nice photo IMO.Note the lack of the eagle and cockade insignia on  the cap.

Regards,Martin.

I sadly cannot add more but this is why collecting and researching is fun, you have these details, stories and mysteries you are trying to recollect and solve. Either way, I wish you best luck in the hunt to find out more about this photograph. Thanks for sharing, Martin.

I was informed elsewhere that the lack of national emblems on the cap (eagle and cockade) suggest that the photo may have been taken post May 1945 and this crewman may have been involved in postwar Mine clearing operations.

Seems to make sense,i think.

Regards,Martin.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.