Historical War Militaria Forum
Bart V.

How do you Preserve or Store your collection?

Dear members,

How you do you preserve or store your collection? I am currently stacking everything in plastic boxes, don't know if this is all good but it is an easy and proper method.
Saves me room when I am storing them - as I used to have it in carton boxes or folders - and looks more clean. I can see through them so that is also easy. Maybe you
can share here your methods how you preserve / story your collection? 

Please login or register to see this attachment.

How I store them in these boxes since I don't have much room here. Thanks for looking. Appreciate all your tips and would lik to see how you store or preserve your collection.

The sleeves for the citations are £5.25 for a set of 10 (Ref Code RA7589B) - double sided.

It is the same price for the Wehrpass/Soldbuch sized sleeves (Ref Code RE8456B) - the sleeves are double sided but I don't use the reverse four for WP/SB as it tends to strain the pouches a little. Four per sleeve is fine and the reverse can hold the extras such as Führerschein etc.

The double folders with slipcase are £35.95 (Ref Code KD22) and come in 2 and 4 ring versions. They can also be bought as single folders for £12.95 each (or £22.95 with a single slipcase).

They do sell cheaper folders but I just prefer the padded versions. They also sell an A-3 sized folder and sleeves which are perfect for larger citations such as promotion or Formal DKiG types.

• Like 2

Cheers Kev, I'll check them out. Are they ok to deal with? I suppose they are fairly quick to arrive to us in the UK. Stewy

They are great to deal with. They are a professional collection storage company so have tons of different items to help store whatever you collect.

Shipping wise, they use Hermes in the UK (if I remember correctly) so whatever they are like for your area is what you'll get. Postage is free on orders over £59 which isn't bad considering the size of the boxes!

I suspect they'll be pretty much the same for me as you. We're not far from each other. Thanks again mate:smile:. Stewy

I think a lot has to do with environment and what is being kept.  My collection is kept in a subbasement.  Humidity is around 35% which I maintain with dehumidifiers.

My tallies are for the most part, kept in 35mm film canisters.  My medals have some in riker displays and others are loosely displayed in a cabinet.  I am fortunate due to where and how my collection is kept, I don't have issues with silverfish, moths, etc... This isn't a problem with Alaska.  Cloth items are not an issue.

Everywhere has their issues, humidity, crawly pests, sunlight, etc... these are all things that can fade, destroy or ruin a collection.   It really comes down to what you are trying to preserve and what your particular environment is.

Pretty vague and kind of obvious.  Sorry!  :)

Regards,

JustinG

Bart:

Hello my friend! Great question you are asking the Forum, "How do you preserve or store your collection?" I have been studying material conservation and worked with museum conservators for as long as I have collected Kriegsmarine and American Civil War antiques. Your question requires my full attention to answer. But my short answer, until I can reply in the near future, is, "Keep your pieces (e.g., cloth, paper, wood, etc.) out of direct light and free from dust. Ensure your pieces are stored/exhibited in a climate controlled areas. Wear gloves when handling any items, hands contain oils that can be harmful. take ever measure to conserve items using conservation glass, acid-free paper and tissue, archival boxes, and/or polyester/mylar sleeves. For me, conservation of the pieces in my collection is as important than the pieces themselves. When you have an opportunity, view my collection topic; all the framed pieces (magazines, booklets, postcards, etc.) are sealed in a mylar sleeve, mounted on an acid-free paper board, and protected by conservation glass (UV protection) that is sealed to the mounting. If these types of pieces are not framed, they are stored in archival boxes and further protected by acid-free paper or mylar sleeves." More to come, have a great day.

KM KriegsmarineMagazine1.jpg

WM KM ChartPencilAnnotation1.jpg

KM Photo KarlFleige.jpg

Kindest regards,

John

• Like 1

Hi Guys,   

I was going to post a while back but, I had a brain freeze (allot go grey matter building up between the ears these days) as I could not remember the material that is used for storing uniforms, that are also used by Museums, plus the company in the UK I purchased them from:-(.    But they sent my a marketing e-mail, so now I got the info:-).   

Back in March of this year I decided to put in storage (just didn't have the room, plus my pad is set in a modern style look, plus when visitors that I didn't know turn up, may have given the a very wrong impression off me) most off my full mannequins, so at first I purchased those big plastic bags, that you then use a vacuum cleaner (reverse mode) to suck out the air, but the more I looked and reasserted it, I changed my mind, and then I contacted our Museum here in Perth, and they informed me off the best way to protect and preserve cloth, and told me off this material.  (Tyvek is a brand name, proprietary material used in the best archival garment bags. It is 100% acid free and extremely dense, meaning that it can keep out humidity and contaminants much better than muslin. This also means it is slightly heavier than other garment bags. Tyvek is the highest quality garment storage bag material available)   So now I have packed away with some pice off mind that my uniforms will be well protected:-).

Lou  

A image of the material, they also make protective overalls, plus many other uses. 

• Like 2

Hello guys i have a question:

The ones of you who uses Rikermounts as a Storage for Medals or anything else. Did you ever discovered some damage on your items over a long time storage? You can read pretty conversely things on the internet and now i am pretty insecure about to storage items in those things.

Greetings
Edelweiß21

4 hours ago, Edelweiß21 said:

Hello guys i have a question:

The ones of you who uses Rikermounts as a Storage for Medals or anything else. Did you ever discovered some damage on your items over a long time storage? You can read pretty conversely things on the internet and now i am pretty insecure about to storage items in those things.

Greetings
Edelweiß21

In a word 'yes'. The problem was caused by stacking 5 or 6 on top of each other. [quite some weight] Unfortunately the threaded post snapped off a USMC ega , which was too long for the depth of the box. Thats why I made the unit so they are no longer stacked.

Graham 

• Like 1

On 28.11.2016 at 9:09 PM, Graham said:

In a word 'yes'. The problem was caused by stacking 5 or 6 on top of each other. [quite some weight] Unfortunately the threaded post snapped off a USMC ega , which was too long for the depth of the box. Thats why I made the unit so they are no longer stacked.

Graham 

Hello Graham,

thank you for your answer. That is really angrily, but i meant more the damage caused by acid or humidity in the rikkermount. But this is also a good thing to keep in mind.

Greetings
Denis

Hi Nicolas

They are just random boxes I found but they serve my purpose well.

Best regards

Pierce

Some great responses and equally as great tips!

I'm veeeery early into collecting as you can see . I've a tonne of documents but have started to veer towards other things now.

I've started displaying my medals and badges in little presentation cases and then holding them in a German 1940s style evacuees case.

Steve

Right up my alley, this topic. Storing is in individual envelopes, inside an archive box, with conditioned silica gel to keep humidity down.

Presentation: I make conservation cases and frames which are essentially Riker mounts on steroids, removing as far as possible all the draw backs of Riker mounts (I.e. no sealing, UV transmitting glass, VOC outgassing board, vinyl coating, no interior gas/moisture barrier, etc).