Historical War Militaria Forum
ReichFeldpost

20mm Shell Casing - Help Needed

Help Needed Please...

I found this shell casing at the location of the 'Quest for a Panzer' project.

It is unlike every other shell casing that I have found there, and therefore I would love to know more about it.

I think it is a 20mm casing, and I'm really hoping that it's an Allied casing.

Apart from the letter R there are other markings of '= 1940'

Can anyone tell me more about this shell casing. I would really appreciate any comments, thoughts or information...

Thank you

Please login or register to see this attachment.

The British did use a system og letters together with a year..  So based on that I guess it could be a British shell..

Is it impossible to make out more stamps ?  The British useally stamped with the broad arrow mark too ?   Perhaps try to put a piece of carbon paper on it and use a wooden pencil to scratch over the hole surface ?   Or a ordinary piece of paper and rub the pen, could make an impression on the paper....

just a thought :)

On 2 October 2016 at 4:41 PM, PeterPaul said:

The British did use a system og letters together with a year..  So based on that I guess it could be a British shell..

Is it impossible to make out more stamps ?  The British useally stamped with the broad arrow mark too ?   Perhaps try to put a piece of carbon paper on it and use a wooden pencil to scratch over the hole surface ?   Or a ordinary piece of paper and rub the pen, could make an impression on the paper....

just a thought :)

Thanks for the reply...

I will try to take clearer pictures. I'm trying to find out if this was an Allied shell casing..

Any ideas guys...

My thoughts are that this is an Allied shell casing. If this is the case it would open a new chapter of investigation for the 'Quest for a Panzer' project.

Once we have confirmation, then I can release further information as to how it ended up at the target location. It's quite an interesting story, just need confirmation of the shell casing being Allied.

Any information or ideas would be appreciated...?

On 17/10/2016 at 8:09 AM, ReichFeldpost said:

I took a clearer picture of the stamp markings. These are the only markings on the casing...

Any information would be really appreciated...?

We are still trying to confirm if this shell is Allied. I have never seen markings like this on a 20mm cannon casing.

If anybody had any knowledge or information about this casing then please inform me.

Thank you.