Historical War Militaria Forum
Neil16

Whats better medal or grouping

Hi all. Just a quick question and reassurance, I joined the forum a couple of weeks ago as a newby and new to militaria. Nearly took the plunge with an Iron Cross 2nd class, but stopped myself. I like to research and learn and with that in mind i wondered if a grouping is a better way to go? I would like an Iron Cross, Eastern from, wound badge. Just some of the commoner/cheaper items, but they have no identity on their own. Would any of you say a grouping with paperwork//books is worth the extra money? Open to opinions. Thanks All. Neil16

For me it is not what it is worth in cash, it is what it is worth to me in terms of historical interest.  If you are looking at it in cash terms (investment?) you would be wasting your money full stop. Equally you have no garuntee that a particular piece of paper relates to specific badge, they can be married up at any time.  Go with what you want to collect and makes you happy?

Best 

Rich

• Like 1

Hi Neil, I started out collecting just awards, but found myself getting into groups. For one they tell a more personal story & I believe in keeping groups together. Too many times you see sellers willing to split genuine groups that have spent the last 70+ years together. Admittedly you do get "marriages" groups that have been put together. I think splitting genuine groups is disrespectful. I have a couple that I didn't particularly want at the time, but bought rather than see them split. It's very hard to re-unite groups once split. Not impossible though. Stewy

• Like 1

Groups and such are always appreciated if you can attribute to a specific person.  Groups can be brought back, or at least part way back. I was able to re-unite a destroyer badge and a Spanish Cross without swords grouping.  No documents though. 

It really is a matter of taste and money.  If attributed, this seems to add about 1.5-2x the value/price added to the piece from my experience and time.  Many sellers try to do this and attach a generic award to a document.  It increases the price and gets more visual traffic as well, leading to a faster sale.   

Regards,

JustinG