Historical War Militaria Forum
J Slavick

Photo - Festung La Rochelle April 1945

Friends, Fellow Researchers and Collectors:

I picked up this photo to add to my Minesweeper photos because it was so sharp, crisp and clear. However, when a friend deciphered the dedication on the back for me, my interest in the photo grew significantly.

This portrait shows one of the 22,000 Germans who garrisioned the surrounded city of La Rochelle from September 1944 until after the German capitulation.

In doing some cursory reading on the subject, it seems life in the surrounded city was not really that bad--- there wasn't a significant bombing offensive against the city and the Allies allowed for a continued electrical supply, fuel supply and even a controlled amount of supplies to continually flow into the city. It seems the Luftwaffe also arranged quite a few supply drops for the defending garrision of the "besieged" city. 

Drawing my own conclusions, it seems that life under "siege" in La Rochelle was relatively safe, and even afforded the defenders of the city an opportunity to take crisp, high quality photos, in clean uniforms and mail them home.

Very interesting subject, I hope you find some interest in it as well.

Joe

Please login or register to see this attachment.

• Like 1

Stunning studio portrait and even more stunning (and interesting) with the given information. It is one of the reasons I love collecting photographs. You're gathering an amazing collection of Minesweeper badge holders portraits. Thanks for sharing, Joe!

Ein froher
Osterfest wünscht euch
euer lieber
Marti
(although it seems to start with a W, but Wati looks a bit strange or is it a nickname)
Festung, La Rochelle Ostern 1945

Hi Joe,

Great portrait my friend, and thanks for showing, but it is possible that the photo was made a bit earlier than Easter 1945.

Best regards

Eric-Jan

• Like 1

The Festung was surrounded by British and Free French troops as I recall, sure there were fighting but no serious attempt was made to take the city and the supply situation in the city did not invite for a serious break out.. So I guess you are right, not the worst place to spend the last 6 months of WW2

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.