Michael1000

Late war units

43 posts in this topic

A good idea for a thread Michael. 

I'm not sure if I have many late war or phantom related units. One that I do have is to a Totenkopf panzer soldier who was assigned to a little known unit -  SS-Pz.Rgt 26. It began life as the cover name for the dispersal of SS-Panzer-Brigade Gross in late 1944, was then reported to be the assigned panzer regiment for a new build SS-Pz.Division (Tannenberg) while at SS-Pz.Ersatz-Abteilung at Sennelager and ended up with SS-Panzer-Brigade 'Westfalen' in the last weeks of the war.

More details - SS-Pz.Division Tannenberg/SS-Pz.Rgt 26

Please login or register to see this attachment.

1 person likes this

I've got this one Michael, he served with Art. Reg. Ulrich von Hutten. Stewy

2 people like this

Thanks guys - I like those entries a lot. The RAD divisions were very late war infantry units but for all I know they had a certain fighting power and were - despite all their deficiencies - by far no mere paper units. I love it when I find entries for those in documents.

Attached another one. Panzer Division Döberitz first and then Gemischtes Panzer Regiment 118. Both were raised in 1945. According to the internet the Gemischte (or mixed) Pz. Rgt. 118 had I. with tanks and II. with SPW. Why they enlarged the original Panzer Abteilung 118 to a Regiment with two Abteilungen of which one then only had SPW is unclear to me. Maybe they wanted to try the failed Panzerbrigaden concept once again :smile:

2 people like this

Hello guys

Not a bad idea, this post ! Already good pieces here...

I think I have at least two Sb. with late war units : Infanterie Division Potsdam and Infanterie Division Scharnhorst. Both were created in early april 45 in Berlin area and sent to Harz sector.

First Sb. is a related to a veteran entered in army in 1934. Has served in few Inf. Batl. before and at the beginning of the war and later in 34.ID ; after a wound in Russia, he joined 85.ID and served in Normandy and Belgium - Holland. Sent to Inf. Division Potsdam (Gren. Regt. Potsdam 1) when remains of 85.ID were used to form this division in Döbertiz, in march-early april 45.

2 people like this

Very good items guys! I have neither seen a document of Pz. Jagd Brigade Herberts nor one of Gren. Rgt. Potsdam 1 I think. Typical for those late war units is apparently also that sub units had the same name but a No. 1 or 2 etc. added. Cool for us collectors but imagine the chaos in communications that would have created in communication over time. But for sure a very nice soldbuch!

And those LW guys who were transferred in April 1945 ... I remember reading a book once about pilots of Nachtjäger who were grounded and reformed in such a ground unit. Their commander had a little speach and said something like "We were not able to stop them with our Ju-88s - we will also not stop them with a few Panzerfäuste". Still particularly in the case of the Luftwaffe those entries even after five years of war are often the first time a combat unit is mentioned in a soldbuch :smile:

1 person likes this

On 29/11/2016 at 8:32 PM, StGeorge64 said:

Great idea for a thread.

A small contribution from myself in the form of the Luftwaffe Soldbuch issued to a Bordfunker who served for the most part within Lehrgeschwader 1, prior to his final assignment in the ground troops role within 3./Panzerjagd Brigade 'Herberts' (although the entry looks like 'Herbers'!).

Regards Richard.

Nice piece.

I will be very curious to know which was able to be the fight of such Lw flights units members around mid april 45... Only a theoretical affectation ? Or real involvment ?

Not a last ditch unit but it only existed for 25 days.....Wehrpaß to a member amongst other units Grenadier Regiment Breslau 1 of Infanterie (Schatten) Division Breslau. It was formed 3.8.1944 at the Troop Training Area Neuhammer in Wehrkreis VIII. 28.8.1944 the Division was disbanded with the already formed elements given to refresh 357 Infanterie Division.

2 people like this

On 04/12/2016 at 4:25 PM, L 76 said:

Nice piece.

I will be very curious to know which was able to be the fight of such Lw flights units members around mid april 45... Only a theoretical affectation ? Or real involvment ?

That is a very good question.

In the case of the Luftwaffe Soldbuch entry which I posted, the only significant information I can find on Panzerjagd Brigade 'Herberts' is in the excellent 'Bomber Units of the Luftwaffe 1933 1945' Vol 2 by Henry de Zang and Doug Stankey which records II./Lehrgeschwader 1 became part of the improvised Panzerjagd Brigade 'Herberts' at Radensleben around 22-April-45 for the defense of Berlin.  Equipped with Panzerfaust weapons and bicycles, they suffered losses during a fighting withdrawal through Brandenburg and Mecklenburg before surrendering to American forces in the vicinity of Ludwiglust on 02-May-1945.

Regards Richard.

Hi guys, I have this inscription !  this young man was at the officers school in Brunn but that school only lasted for 4 months..  He was then transfeered to ??

The cadets of the Brunn training school were sent to Grenadier-Regiment 1246, and I think it says something like Einheit 240, Fuhrer Nach-wuks -- something..

Einheit 240.JPG

Nice entry Michael. Your Panzerzug is mentioned in the Armoured Train book I previously mentioned in my Panzerzug thread a while ago. Does your SB have the signature of Gerhard Gorski in it?

moritz.jpg

Got a couple to this unit but can't find them at the moment so here's an old scan......Soldbuch to a member of Panzer Grenadier Regiment "von Gaudecker", named after the Kommandeur Oberst Gerlach von Gaudecker RKT. It was later upgraded to Infanterie-Division z.V. (zur Vergeltung) also known as "Division v. Gaudecker" and "V-Waffen Division z.b.V. Gaudecker". It was used to protect V2 deployment units in the late stages of the war.

2 people like this

One more which fits in here. A young Fahnenjunker this time who was first in Gren. Ers. Btl. 19 which had by then also inherited the honorary title "List" from Gren. Rgt. 199.
A very strange concept to move on such a title but strange things happened then obviously. But his real late war unit was Gren. Rgt. 2 "Ulrich von Hutten".

2 people like this

Thanks for showing Michael. He had some interesting units indeed. The Ulrich von Hutten is one I knew nothing of 'til I got my WP. Nice to see another ID to this late war unit. Stewy

P.S. Is this a new find?

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor