Michael1000

Late war units

43 posts in this topic

I give it a try and have now ordered this book. Glad that somebody actually writes books about late war infantry divisions :smile:

@ Stewy: it is not a new find - found it at a fair some years back.

A guy who ended up in Pz Jag Abt Scharnhorst, April 1945, under the 12th Army surrendering to the US Army on May 2-3 1945.

I have more just slow digging them out.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

1 person likes this

Nice unit. And I like the entry "Freigestellt für den Fronteinsatz am 26.02.1945" - released for duty at the front.

At first glance one could think that he was in one of those Landesschützen units which were so common and apparently usually in charge of guarding POW camps. But Landes Pionier Bataillon 521 was a unit which was in charge of repairing damaged electric facilities in the homeland. I think their task was quite important. Certainly also an uncommon unit! What was his civil occupation?

Another one,a replacement soldbuch with a nice crisp photo and another panzerjagd verband that are hard to find much on.

He was awarded the Winter 41/42 Medal, Iron Cross II, Sturm Assault Badge and the Wound Badge in Black while serving with Art. Rgt 75.

3 hours ago, Lee Luke said:

Another one,a replacement soldbuch with a nice crisp photo and another panzerjagd verband that are hard to find much on.

According to Martin Block Panzerjagd-Verbande S was used to form Panzer-Jagd-Brigade 'Schneider' on 16th April 1945. Heeres-Panzerjagd-Verbande S also consisted of members from Ers.Brigade GD which might point to it being used around Cottbus and Berlin but that is just an educated guess.

Some time on my hands today, a 16th Pz Division aufklarungs replacement soldbuch that has a late war unit.   "Regiment Kobelinski"  ?

Good additions. I wonder how the Feldpost managed to keep track. I know they had other problems then but I believe the post guys still did their very best to deliver mail to the soldiers.

Here is another one. This time for a guy who was really older but was still sucked in by Kampfgruppe Semmering. This Kampfgruppe was renamed into 9. Gebirgsdivision about 10 days before the end of the war. However, when it was still a Kampfgruppe it had the task to hold the Semmering pass to enable other troops to retreat West. So in this case for once a task which was maybe worth the risk. This old guy even managed to get a few days of close combat (April 01 - 04 1945).

2 people like this

I have in the meantime done what L 76 suggested and bought the book: Die Infanterie-Divisionen "Ulrich von Hutten" und "Theodor Körner" of author Heinz Ulrich.

Initially I was a bit disappointed because it is a relatively small book with only about 90 pages. But if you think how difficult it must be to write a book about an Infanterie Division which basically existed only in April 1945 the impression changes. April 1945 is the period which is often completely ignored in the histories of other German units because it is so difficult to find info. But Heinz Ulrich managed to put together a solid book which gives a good amount of details.

He managed to give a Stellenbesetzung, some info about equipment, names of places etc. I really think it is as good as it can be. If you read German it is totally worth the price of 15 Euro.

I bought myself the two books related to Infanterie Division Potsdam and Infanterie Division Scharnhorst.  Both are very interesting with full of  informations. For such work of research, price is near a gift !

Another soldbuch with some cool late war units, SS Fuhrungs Nacht. Rgt 503, Batl Halle/5 and Nacht Abt 'Friedrich Ludwig Jahn'

1 person likes this

Here something a bit unusual. This soldbuch has some issues (questionable entries for awards etc. which I don't show here) but the
important part should be ok. This soldier was a pretty normal soldier of the infantry who saw a lot of the fighting in Russia with
Inf. Rgt. 121. He had the usual awards and was finally wounded in October 1943 (grazing shot head). He survived but maybe it handicapped
him so he was not sent back to his unit but to the training grounds Döberitz. There they were building a new type of unit which was
to be equipped with armored tracked vehicles to carry amunition to the front troops. The Germans tested these vehicles earlier in the
war for their infantry units but were not satisifed - probably simply because of the limited cargo space. Basically it is simpler and cheaper
to send one truck with artillery shells than 5 little amo carriers.

However, towards the end of the war they created such units again on the training grounds of the infantry at Döberitz. This soldier was
even assigned to one of the Gepanzerte Munitionsschlepper Kompanien in the West (in this case No. 804) - and probably saw some action with it.
His driving license was also given the addition that he can drive armored fully tracked vehicles of type A - whatever type A is.

Surprisingly I was not really able to find out what vehicles they used. It seems to be general believe that they used V.K. 3.02 (like the one
in the picture). That would be logical but apparently only about 20 of those were built much earlier in the war. So what they had in reality
is imo not sure. There is very little info available about these units which is a pitty because they are surely an exotic bunch.

1 person likes this

Hello Michael, thanks for posting another great late war unit Soldbuch. Currently I found this: Kompanie 804 was subordinated to 198. Infanterie-Division around March 1945 (Source: http://forum.valka.cz/topic/view/94157/Munitionsschlepper-Borgward-B-IV-municne-vozidlo). Most likely using the Sd Kfz 301 or 111 (attached is a nice photo of the 301)

1 person likes this

Another late war division, Ulrich von Hutten

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor