Historical War Militaria Forum
flygt

Mark II helmet front

Hi all, thanks to experts here for answering questions and creating this resource.

Was the rim strip joint on the Mark II British / Canadian helmet worn to the back or was some other feature used to determine front from back.

Also under what circumstances would a helmet have had unit decals applied and then later removed.

Thanks again.

Looking at about 10 of my army Mk2's, by far,the rim join was at the rear of the helmet. If you take it  the lace knot for the liner was also to the rear, then most time the liner knot & rim join went to the rear. Mind you, you are  buggered when the rim join is on the side.

I expect the removal of decals was to increase security when troops went over sea's, and also better camouflage. But you see loads of wartime pictures of troops in action with decals.

• Like 2

Aaron is correct of course as the majority of the time the decals and or war time applied stencils ie.. on some civil defence issued helmets will be found on the front of the helmet body...That said I do have a few Canadian examples in my collection were the decals have been affixed in such a manner as to be shown in the correct position the rim joint would have to be worn to the front.. As to the removal and or covering of decals I can think of a few situations that would warrant this activity such as the soldier has been transferred or is no longer a member of the particular arm of the services that used this particular flash on there helmets.. A friend and fellow collector has a Mk II helmet that was found with a strip of tire inter-tube curled up in the inside of the liner when he received it and only after carefully looking at the strip and comparing it to the helmet body did it become evident that the strip had been used to cover up the flashes on the sides of the helmet body. We determined as Aaron has previously mentioned was very probably for the purpose of enhanced security in the field of operations as then the flash would not be visible there for making it harder for the enemy to determine whom there opponent was ...

Regards Mark 

• Like 1

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.