Historical War Militaria Forum
Bart V.

My 212. Infanterie-Division / Volks-Grenadier-Division Collection

As you all now I recently took over the archive from our beloved EJ and I'm now sharing the same passion as him, I would like to show off some material I have from the 212. Infanterie-Division / 212. Volks-Grenadier-Division. This is an older overview of the Soldbücher, Wehrpasse and Paper Groups I have from this Division. I am literally searching anything from this Division (either trade or buy), so hopefully anyone of you could help expand the collection. I hope one of the latter weeks of December to visit some of the Military Cemeteries where Fallen soldiers of this Division are buried, since a few of which I have paperwork were Killed in Action or Died of their Wounds. Hope you will appreciate it.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

• Like 1

Andreas Riebler, born in 1919, was already a seasoned veteran from the Eastern Front when he was put into action with the 2. Kompanie/ Grenadier-Regiment 316 during the Ardennes Offensive. Before he went into action in the Ardennes he already got wounded 3 times during a period of 4 months (in 1944) for which he was (only) awarded the VWA in Schwarz. However he saw a great portion of action, serving with the Division from 1939 until end 1944, fighting at Wolchow, Leningrad, Ladogasees, Pleskau etc. before participating in the Ardennes. Earning the EK2, ISA and Nahkampfspange in Bronze. According to the Wehrpass he went Missing in Action on 24 December 1944, Christmas, near Michelshof (Luxemburg) -- however after research I found at he became POW and died in 2014. Sadly, If I knew earlier I would have tried to contact him. During the Ardennes Offensive the I. Bataillon of Grenadier-Regiment 320 had to take Osweiler - Dickweiler.

• Like 2

Most likely one of my favorite Wehrpasse.. It belonged to Grenadier Georg Jedelhauser, born in 1925. He didn't see any action prior to the Ardennes Offensive. On 16 December 1944 leading companies of the Grenadier-Regiment 423 crossed the Sauer in Rubberboats and aimed to capture Berdorf. Days later they aimed to capture Consdorf.. It proved to be a slaughter, several attacks were launched... Practically decimating the Grenadier-Regiment 423.. According to Fred Karen, after 24 December, the I. Bataillon had only around 100 men left. One of the casualties at Consdorf, on 21 December, was 19 year old Georg Jedelhauser. He most likely served within the Granatwerferzug of 4. Kompanie (since he was received training with a 'schwere' Granatwerfer) however - sadly - he met his fate by the enemies mortar fire. He was taken to Helenenberg, where he was buried. As you'll notice on the Wehrpass, his father died in 1930, with the mother also losing her son in 1944.

• Like 2

Thanks, Alberto. Just had to have this Urkunde after I saw it for sale. It's a Iron Cross 2nd Class Award document from Grenadier Johann Kvetinowski of the 5. Kompanie/ Grenadier-Regiment 423, dated 5. Januar 1945. So definitely for actions during the Battle of the Bulge. Since his name is not a common one I thought why not run it through the Volksbund database.. I found a match.. There is only one Kvetinowsky listed.. First name: Johann... Rank: Grenadier ... Killed in Action on 22 December 1944. His final resting place is the Military Cemetery in Sandweiler (Luxemburg). He most likely fell during the attack on Consdorf (just as Georg Jedelhauser a day earlier). On the award document is a not so little signature of Generalleutnant Franz Sensfuß

• Like 2

Thanks both. On this day, 16 December 1944, the Ardennes Offensive started with a massive artillery barrage that started at 0500 hours. One of the casualties on 16 December 1944 was Konrad Jäger, who fell at / near Berdorf, the first place the 212. Inf. Div had to conquer. It would take a few days before the complete city of Berdorf was conquered because of some brave, stubborn US resistance. 

• Like 1

Thanks @Mark P and @Jim W. for your kind reactions. Little more is on its way, such as my first 212. ID Photo album from a fallen officer (comes with WP). Hope you guys will stay following this thread.

On 12/14/2016 at 2:57 PM, Bart V. said:

Thanks, Alberto. Just had to have this Urkunde after I saw it for sale. It's a Iron Cross 2nd Class Award document from Grenadier Johann Kvetinowski of the 5. Kompanie/ Grenadier-Regiment 423, dated 5. Januar 1945. So definetely for actions during the Battle of the Bulge. Since his name is not a common one I thought why not run it through the Volksbund database.. I found a match.. There is only one Kvetinowsky listed.. First name: Johann... Rank: Grenadier ... Killed in Action on 22 December 1944. His final resting place is the Military Cemetery in Sandweiler (Luxemburg). He most likely fell during the attack on Consdorf (just as Georg Jedelhauser a day earlier). On the award document is a not so little signature of Generalleutnant Franz Sensfuß

That is a nice document

Both of those look in great shape. Did you find those on a auction website or a local dealer. I saw a photo album in a Texas antique dealer, black in color, and he wanted 600-700 dollars. Didn't know if that was excessive or worth the price..

Thanks Jim and Alberto for the nice comments. I was able to acquire two new items last year, a Winterschlacht im Osten Urkunde for a member of 4. Kompanie/ Infanterie-Regiment 320 and a Wehrpass of a Hauptwachtmeister in the Abteilungsstab der I./ Artillerie-Regiment 212 (he was there from the start however he also quickly went into the reserve), still nice to have. Hope one day to have something from each Kompanie and ofcourse each unit of this Division.

Could add something little but nice to my dedicated collection. Two death cards and various photographs from Leutnant Anton Gerbel - who served in the Bataillonsstab der III./ Infanterie-Regiment 316 (it is also the first thing I can add to this exact unit.. Eventually want to learn what function he had.), who earned (posthumously) the Deutsches Kreuz in Gold. He fell on April 1, 1944. When I have time I will research more about his death and where he fought. I could add this to my collection just by much coincidence, saw it for sale (for not a bad price) without any name, unit etc. and thought since it was not a bad price that I will check out the article and who he was.. Came out he was 212. Inf. Div ! My first DKiG death card of this Division. 

• Like 1

I was able to add a second death card of a DKiG-holder (of the 212. Infanterie-Division) to my collection. Major Kurt Köhler belonged to Artillerie-Regiment 212 and commanded the I. Abteilung. He fell either on 5 or 6 August 1944 "nach erfolgreichem Abschuss von sowjetischen Panzern im Nahkampf an der Ostfront" near Siauliai (Schaulen).

• Like 1

Bart V.:

Hello! Thank you for carrying on EJ's work, the Forum is ever indebted to you. It is members like EJ and you that have made our Forum what it is today.

Kindest regards, John R.

• Like 1