TheGronkster

Photos - Renault FT17 Tank

7 posts in this topic

Gentlemen,

This thread is for photos of the Renault FT17 tank.  Please feel free to share any relevant photos you have.  All of my photos are from the WW1 era, but WW2 era photos are welcome as well since the FT17 also participated in that conflict.  Photos of the American manufactured FT17 (and any other nations I may not be aware of) are also welcome.

Enjoy!
Ben

Two French soldiers standing beside an FT17 that took a shell hit:

FT17-01-USASC_17666.jpg

Photo taken by U.S. Army Signal Corps July 15, 1918, at tank corps school near Langres, France.  Not sure if it was a battle damaged tank that was relocated to the school or if it was intentionally fired upon at the school for observation.

I  dont have photos but  I  do  have  this CdG  citation  signed by General  Mangin which  has illustrations of an  early  French  tank

Jim

Please login or register to see this attachment.

1 person likes this

Thanks for sharing, Jim.  That's the Saint Chamond tank.  It's performance was very disappointing on the battlefield as it got stuck easily.  However, it did well as a mobile bombardment gun when operating on roads and smooth terrain.  Tanks Encyclopedia has an informative page here: Tanks Encyclopedia - The Char Saint Chamond

Does the body of the citation suggest that the recipient was involved with these tanks?  Also, just out of curiosity, did General Mangin physically sign the citation or was it printed?

Ben

Hi Ben,

The citation is  an ink  signature  signed by  "the Butcher" himself.  It  does not  relate  to a tank  action and  was  awarded to  a soldier  with  24eme Chasseurs  de Alpine.

I  walked  and  drove  the  attack of  the  French  tanks during  the  Nivelle Offensive in 1917 in  2015.I  was  amazed how open  the ground  was  where they  drove  towards le  Cholera. A photo of  the memorial(s) is below

Jim

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor