Historical War Militaria Forum
Ian Jewison

Group to crewmember of U-121 and U-968

Also with the following citations:

Citation for the shooting lanyard 1st grade. Dated 25.9.1939 and signed by Korvettenkapitän Hans-Caspar von Schönermark DKiG.

Citation for the U-Boat Badge. Dated 11.9.1944 and signed by Fregattenkapitän Reinhard Suhren RK m.EL u.S.

Citation for the Iron Cross 2nd Class. Dated 11.9.1944 and signed by Fregattenkapitän Hans Eckermann.

Citation for the U-Boat Bar in Bronze. Dated 22.2.1945 and signed by Fregattenkapitän Rolf Rüggeberg.

Copy photo of Lüders wearing awards except EK I. Also his business card.

Signed photo of Otto Westphalen RKT. Also his business card.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

• Like 2

And lastly a book written by Willi Lüders: “Tatsachenbericht eines U-Bootfahrers 1942-1945” - "Factual report of a submariner 1942-1945". Written according to the records of the diary.

For more info on U-968 you can look here: http://www.ubootarchiv.de/ubootwiki/index.php/U_968

Enjoy!
Ian

Wow, this group is extraordinary. I am not so much interested in u-boats normally but all those sunk ships in 1945 (!) caught my eye. I thought that U-968 must have been one of the new designs to make that possible but it seems it was just a normal type VIIC with an aggressive commander and surely also a good bit of luck. I can only recommend spending a few minutes and reading the stroy of the boat in the internet - it is impressive. No surprise you are happy with that group!!!

By the way, we were recently talking about the habit of the KM to replace soldbuch pictures. Do you know of an official reason for that?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Michael1000 said:

By the way, we were recently talking about the habit of the KM to replace soldbuch pictures. Do you know of an official reason for that?

I don't know if there was any official order that came out in respect of changing photos but it was more common with Kriegsmarine as they were issued with a photo. First ones I seem to remember are from April/May 1941. Prior to that the Truppenausweis was used, or if you were land based Kriegsmarine then ordinary Heer Soldbücher were used.

I have the book on KM orders for 1941 and 1943....I remember the KM Soldbuch didn't get a mention until something like November 1941.

Will take a look later.

I have a KM Soldbuch where the photo was changed just for promotion if I remember correctly but it was nice as it came with the removed photo as well!

Ian, this is such a great grouping you've posted as Michael already said with all those ships sunk in 1945, in those end years after the Enigma was cracked the U-boats were more hunted than they were the hunters, which they were early in the war. Getting so much kills in 1945 is impressive! Thanks for sharing and showing our Forum!

• Thanks 1

Hi Ian,

I do remember asking you "did you see this grouping" , you did have a look at the link I showed you and your reply was, "looked at it and bought it"
Again congratulations with buying such an outstanding uboat grouping.
Thank you for showing us your grouping -  a real pleasure to look at, and for the informative writing.

Best regards

Eric-Jan

• Like 1

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.