Historical War Militaria Forum
Agustin V.

Postwar photos of U-boat Commanders and holders (KC and DKiG)

Whats going on? Some of the best threads are down and now i see in this thread pictures with watermark? Whats going on?

Here is Dönitz - i hope without watermark.

credits: diepresse.com

Please login or register to see this attachment.

• Like 1

Vet`s of the "Crew34"

On the left with cigarette is "The Devil of the Atlantic" Erich Topp

On 2/8/2017 at 0:51 PM, Agustin V. said:

Fregattenkapitän Erich Topp (1914 - 2005)

Erich Topp in Bundesmarine uniform, where he served from 1958 to 1969 and held the final rank of Konteradmiral. 

Topp holding his dagger (it was stolen a few years ago and still haven't been recovered)

Speaking for a TV documentary about the Uboats. 

I read he possibly lived in Florida at the time of his passing and was friendly with anyone who stopped by to talk about his experiences during the war...

8 hours ago, Ghost86 said:

Whats going on? Some of the best threads are down and now i see in this thread pictures with watermark? Whats going on?

The threads of the German vets were deleted.... we don't know who or why. I will re-start the threads tonight.

And I put the watermarks on these pictures because most of them come from a collector who sent them to me but asked that I put some watermarks.

On woensdag 8 februari 2017 at 6:37 PM, Agustin V. said:

On woensdag 8 februari 2017 at 6:37 PM, Agustin V. said:

Hi guys! As some of you might already know, a few of my threads here in this section are gone (still don't know why) but I will create this thread about postwar pictures of U-boat Knight's Cross and German Cross holders.

I want to dedicate this thread to my good friend EJ-Bakker! This one is for you EJ!

Let's start with the father of U-boats during WW2!

Großadmiral Karl Dönitz (1891 - 1980)

The first picture comes from the TV documentary "The World At War" and dates from 1973.

The second set are from a compilation of photos taken at the house of Dönitz, a few years before his death.

Thank you Agustín.

On the cabinet behind Dönitz we see a picture frame with pictures of his two sons :

Peter Dönitz, Leutnant zur See, 20.03.1922 - 19.05.1943 S.E.of Cape Farewell, U-954, Crew of X/1940.
Klaus Dönitz, Oberleutnant zur See, 14.05.1920 - 13.05.1944 Bourdon France Block 7, Row 8, Grave 154, Schnellboot S-141.

Best regards

Eric-Jan

• Like 1

On 3/3/2017 at 4:30 PM, Eric JB said:

Thank you Agustín.

On the cabinet behind Dönitz we see a picture frame with pictures of his two sons :

Peter Dönitz, Leutnant zur See, 20.03.1922 - 19.05.1943 S.E.of Cape Farewell, U-954, Crew of X/1940.
Klaus Dönitz, Oberleutnant zur See, 14.05.1920 - 13.05.1944 Bourdon France Block 7, Row 8, Grave 154, Schnellboot S-141.

Best regards

Eric-Jan

Thanks for that info EJ! And vey good eye also, I didn't see it at first. 

Here are their photos

Peter

Klaus

and the obituary for Klaus...

• Like 2

Diamondholder Albrecht Brandi (30.06.1914, Dortmund - 06.01.1966) short after war, where he was travelling under the false name "Albert Bergmann" from spain to france and germany.

1. Knights Cross on 21.01.43 as Kapitänleutnant

2. Oak Leaves on 11.04.1943 as Kapitänleutnant

3. Swords on 13.05.1944 as Kapitänleutnant

4. Diamonds on 24.11.44 as Korvettenkapitän

'The actions and deeds rewarded by the award of an Order are taken by a sworn soldier, who will always be proud and happy to have had the opportunity to achieve military success I do not believe in a special role of excellent soldiers within a soldier community, I am at this time the But not in retrospect, but with a view to achieving a goal.' - Words from Brilliant carrier and submarine commander Albrecht Brandi with the nickname 'Cherry-Brandi'

"Die Maßnahmen und Taten, die durch Verleihung eines Ordens belohnt werden, werden von einem vereidigten Soldaten mit Selbstverständlichkeit ergriffen. Er wird immer stolz und froh sein darüber, Gelegenheit gehabt und genutzt zu haben, militärische Erfolge zu erzielen. Viele genauso tapfere Soldaten hatten die Gelegenheit nicht und haben oft erheblichen Anteil an dem Erfolg sichtbar Ausgezeichneter. Ein U-Boot-Kommandant erhält seine Auszeichnungen immer im Namen und für seine Besatzung. Ich glaube somit nicht an eine Sonderrolle ausgezeichneter Soldaten innerhalb einer soldatischen Gemeinschaft. Ich bin in dieser Zeit der Vermassung jeder Elitebildung, aber nicht im Rückblick auf Geleistetes, sondern im Hinblick auf ein Ziel." Brillantenträger und U-Boot-Kommandant Albrecht Brandi "Cherry-Brandi"

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.