Kevin H

Operation Anthropoid - Prague 2017

13 posts in this topic

Recently I took a 4 day break to visit some places in Germany & also Prague which is where I flew in to and out of. On the last day I went for a walk around that beautiful city to take in some of the WW-2 related sites such as those relating to Reinhard Heydrich and Operation Anthropoid. The first image is taken from Google Earth to show the lay out of the city in relation to some of the spots I visited. Unfortunately I didn't find out the location of the Gestapo HQ until after I got home and frustratingly at one point I was less than 200m from it when I took a coffee break! (As I missed it, it isn't shown on the image here and likewise for the 'Adolf Hitler' SS Kaserne which was across the river and just too far for me to get to in the time I had.)

Please login or register to see this attachment.

2 people like this

The first place I visited was one that I had wanted to see for some time. I have been to Prague 3 times now but previously I never had time to explore so I wasted no time to go to the site of the attack on Reinhard Heydrich by the SOE trained Czech agents. The corner has been modernized since the war so the actual turn in the road where his car was blown up no longer exists and was between the current corner and the memorial statue.

These images show the memorial statue for the men involved in the planning and attack. What was interesting was something within the underpass next to the memorial. It serves no purpose that I could see and there are no plaques to tell what it is for but I have a theory that it is a memorial marker for the actual spot of the attack, either where the car was when attacked or where the bomb was thrown from. My thoughts were based on the location being halfway from the current corner and the memorial statue, the remains of what looks like the original road surface as seen in the photos of Heydrich's car and also the ripples on the top possibly symbolising the shock waves of a bomb blast. The underpass isn't well looked after with graffiti, a broken pushchair left on a walkway and broken bottles around the marker which is a shame if it is what I think it is.

58ce7f9ec67ed_Heydrich-AnthropoidAttackLocation(8).jpg.347444771d3d3c3dac2460264f11175c.jpg58ce80c6b765e_Heydrich-AnthropoidAttackLocation(4).jpg.d18005fa6cda8b09f27aece76e7098c9.jpg

This Google Earth shot shows the area of the attack and the memorial marker can just be made out in the underpass to the left of the statue.

After the attack, one of the agents ran off down the hill to the left where the butchers shop was located while Heydrich was rushed to the Bulovka Hospital. The first image is another Google Earth image showing the overall area while the photo shows the actual hospital that Heydrich was taken to, and it is still a hospital today.

58ce823ba5dd2_Heydrich-BulovkaHospital(2).jpg.ebca75118b5d9753a214d92215b0187e.jpg

Moving on, this Google Earth image shows the main area of Prague with the relevant locations  The photo shows the Rudolfinum Concert Hall and it was here that on the night before he was attacked, Heydrich attended a performance of his late father's opera, Amen.

58ce848ecf0d9_Heydrich-RudolfinumConcertHall(4).jpg.998e3ee78505950379ae1d9e6b901cc7.jpg

These two photos show a large building that is just behind the concert hall and while it is now a university, during the German occupation it was the Headquarters for the SS.

58ce84bcd4fce_SSHeadquarters(4).jpg.b88988a7870a3039f12c1cf276b2a97d.jpg58ce84c160c70_SSHeadquarters(8).jpg.d380ebf02b244a1287a91b29e8c6b805.jpg

The agents eventually sought to hide out in St Cyril and Methodius Cathedral until they could escape from the city. For anyone who has seen the films or knows the story, this is where they were located by the Germans and where the heroes met their end, in the crypt of the cathedral, but not before engaging the Germans sent in to capture them. In the first photo the entrance to the vault and crypt can be seen next to the white minivan. The outside of the crypt is now a memorial and the bullet marks are there for all to see.

58ce861c8fce2_Heydrich-AnthropoidSs.CyrilandMethodiusCathedral(1).jpg.4a21705a4ecb9d2fc1846ce2ee90ecc7.jpg58ce8626d12f9_Heydrich-AnthropoidSs.CyrilandMethodiusCathedral(7).jpg.5d28ff0009759fd77e6535b359ea8dff.jpg

Inside the cathedral you can see the restored balcony area where some of the SOE agents defended themselves against the Germans as they entered through the doorway. Unfortunately access to the actual balcony wasn't possible as the stairs were behind a locked gate.

Inside the vault is a small museum but you then proceed through a doorway and in to the crypt itself which is very well presented. In the second photo you can see the part of the wall where they tried to knock their way through and I was surprised at just how much they had achieved with the basic tools they had. Above that is the opening which forms the memorial on the outside and where the water was pumped in from.

58ce873b652be_Heydrich-AnthropoidSs.CyrilandMethodiusCathedral(44).jpg.c5bda0c383759f51a6d12c0dedbe1290.jpg58ce8745bd315_Heydrich-AnthropoidSs.CyrilandMethodiusCathedral(18).jpg.8f41bef0752995992d08ecec0b171484.jpg

The first photo in this post shows the opening in the roof of the crypt through which the agents first descended in to the crypt from the cathedral above with the help of a ladder. It is also where the Germans dropped smoke bombs through and where the Czech SOE agent turned traitor Karel Curda shouted out for the agents below to give themselves up.

The second image shows the steps which were originally covered by a large tombstone but down which the German's eventually entered the crypt, while the last image shows that tombstone with the damage caused by the Germans when they removed it.

58ce8af14b68f_Heydrich-AnthropoidSs.CyrilandMethodiusCathedral(34).jpg.67e0fceee4733b6962575b8844d46d6a.jpg58ce8af45089d_Heydrich-AnthropoidSs.CyrilandMethodiusCathedral(23).jpg.bddf53f35f284e39d5fc363cf353cb0f.jpg

Finally, also within the crypt are busts of the heroes who were killed in the cathedral and crypt.

58ce8f0a4233e_Heydrich-AnthropoidSs.CyrilandMethodiusCathedral(28).jpg.1ead02ef1e8b12aa52a595e9ec769527.jpg58ce8f0dadfe9_Heydrich-AnthropoidSs.CyrilandMethodiusCathedral(29).jpg.aaa575627cec1a1d80861a93f97542ad.jpg58ce8f10d96f0_Heydrich-AnthropoidSs.CyrilandMethodiusCathedral(31).jpg.479331577a195818d4c1b1fdc65556fd.jpg

Thanks Kevin, looks like you had a good trip, and yes it is a bit disappointing when you realised you the SS headquarters weren't that far away from the coffee shop you stopped at!      I have read the story before, and seen a few images of the church and were the men hid, but never saw the busts of the SOS agents before,but very nice tribute to these heroes

Lou 

Kevin

I have always been interested in Operation Anthropoid, and those are excellent pictures from the key sites.  It is a shame that the underpass and memorial are not looked after better although, to be honest there are several memorials in this country that are not looked after as well as they might be either.

There is no doubt that these were very brave men indeed.  I hope to visit Prague myself one day and visit the very same sights.

I recently watched the 'Anthropoid' film and must admit to being felt a little let down by the portrayal however, I am currently reading 'HHhH' which I am enjoying very much indeed.

Regards Richard.