Nicolas7507

Officers Ribbonbar - 10-Placer

11 posts in this topic

Dear Members,

Recently, I was fortunate to acquire this "little" ribbon bar. It was interesting to me, because there wasn't really a branche, which matches this piece.

Falsely, I thought the last ribbon would be a Danzig Red Cross Decoration. It is not. In fact, it is the russian St.Stanislaus Order (Officer) or Medal (NCO)

Please enjoy this lovely new addition to my collection.

Of course, ID suggestions are welcome.

Best regards,

Nicolas

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Nicolas,

This is an interesting new addition to your collection.

You are correct regarding the last ribbon- it is for the Russian St. Stanislaus Order, or more likely the Medal for Zeal.

The 5th ribbon is an interesting one. If it is the Bulgarian Bravery Medal it may be placed ahead of the Honour Cross as it was a "bravery" decoration. Alternatively, it could be for a Bavarian ribbon, which was a very similar ribbon, and had these thinner stripes which we see on this bar- the precise name escapes me at the moment.

However, if it does represent the Bulgarian decoration I don't see why it's not at the end of that bar with the other foreign medal. Again, my above reasoning could be the answer.

All in all a nice original ribbon bar. These longer bars are always great to find.

Kind regards
Pierce

Hi Pierce,

Thanks for your extensive reply.

As the Medal of Zeal was not awarded to officers, do you think this man did not have an officers grade in WW1? Afterall he had atleast 17 years of service under his belt when the war began.

I noticed they thinner stripes on the 5th ribbon, aswell. The bavarian decoration is called Kriegserinnerungsabzeichen des Bayerischen Landesvereins vom Roten Kreuz 

There are 2 versions of it. This is the one for Home-Duty. Not sure if it matches the rest...

Best regards,

Nicolas

Thanks for the confirmation on the Bavarian medal.

In answer to your question- there is nothing on this bar that confirms this it was an officer's bar or not. After (circa) 1920 NCOs were granted permission to apply for the Prussian 25 Year Cross. With the plain blue ribbons we do not know what they represent, which is problematic when trying to piece together a picture of the owner. He even could have had a break in service prior to WW1 for all we know.

27 minutes ago, Nicolas7507 said:

So we can't draw any conclusions? 

Unfortunately not, but still a great piece for your collection. :smile:

Nice Bar Nicolas.  

Did you get it from Helmut Weitze? I'm off to Hamburg for the weekend tomorrow so will pop into his shop for a look around. 

Thanks

Gary

Lovely new addition in your collection, Nicolas. Thanks for sharing with us!

1 person likes this

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor