Marcus H

RAC/25D Service & Pay Book

12 posts in this topic

This is one of my latest eBay purchases - Soldier's Service & Pay Book or 'AB 64' (Army Book 64)

A rather tatty - and understanbly so given this soldiers environment - 'AB 64' to 7938274, Lance Corporal Colin Fletcher, 25th Dragoons/RAC; an Electrician Class 3.

A former window cleaner by trade on enlistment, and if the fathers address (next of kin) is anything to go by a Nottinghamshire lad - being Worksop, Notts. 

Unfortunately, a few personnel details have been omitted by blotting them out.

He has personalised the book cover with a drawing of the 25D badge and the 14th (XIV) Army emblem design on the reverse.

Also, on the inside of the front cover there are the letters 'L' and 'R' (left and right) with two (I assume) thumb prints..? Is that conventional?

Also, the photograph, I suspect this is later war or perhaps even post hostilities. He has the second pattern RAC cap badge (worn from 1942) and what would appear to be a rank chevron (promoted 12th March, 1945), I think also I see a part of his RAC service strip, plus on his uniform epaulettes a slip-on shoulder title (RAC) and the RAC lanyard, too.

The Battle Dress I can hazard a guess at that, however does anyone see any tell-tales regarding that?

So, he's likely an attached RAC Tradesman as such, than actually badged to the 25D.

I only received this yesterday in the post, but I'll attempt to discover more about the former owner - albeit a struggle with WW2 personnel.

Best,

Marcus 

Please login or register to see this attachment.

2 people like this

A fine pick up Marcus.  I have a few Ab 64's and other army books.  One has his hometown/parish details snipped out of it.  These are often in bad condition, they are quite flimsy and have to accompany the soldier wherever he served, though great things to have IMO.

The BD is either a battledress serge (37 pattern) or a 40 pattern but either way it is of the type that was manufactured before autumn 1942 when the austerity pattern was introduced with exposed buttons, though of course it might have been issued later than that.

1 person likes this

Thanks, Jerry.

After some contemplation, I think my initial impression of the uniform was incorrect. What I hastily perceived to be a rank chevron, I suspect is more likely RAC or Trade related. 

He wasn't deployed until late 1942 and had his trade courses at Southampton and Tidworth prior, etc, so I imagine he'd have been badged as RAC (training and trade training) until reaching the 25D in India; or possibly even then still RAC.

So in all probability a pre 'embarkation' photo.  

On 22/04/2017 at 8:39 AM, Marcus H said:

Thanks, Jerry.

After some contemplation, I think my initial impression of the uniform was incorrect. What I hastily perceived to be a rank chevron, I suspect is more likely RAC or Trade related. 

Perhaps part of the div formation sign that high up his arm, certainly too high for a rank or trade patch to be above the tankers badge though it might be the end pf the arm of service strip

Thanks for the interest and help, Gents, it's very much appreciated.

I too, now, suspect the 'white' portion is a tank badge, but the snippet above that I'll be buggered if I can make that out exactly.

Hence, I tend to lean towards the arm of service strip, also. But, that would be the yellow part of the two colours and it looks too dark, so probably the effects of the lighting conditions, photography of the day, etc.

IF, this pic was taken whilst he was at an RAC Training Regiment (duration of) he may not have possibly worn a Div patch at that very time.

Most pictures of 22D and 24L that joined via RAC/TR don't on photos I've encountered so far; or for that matter the lanyard.

Such could depend on the date and TR perhaps?

I thought you already knew it was a tankers badge, and it was the one above you were asking about. It can only be a div sign or arm of service strip.

Yeeeah, well...kinda: originally, in my wisdom, haste and excitement and at the time of posting, I thought it was part of a rank chevron for L/Cpl - the white bit.

But on close inspection and literally with my glasses on it became more obvious lol

i think I need a Tesco optician appointment, eh! 

The bit above the tank will be the RAC red/yellow arm of service colours.....as can be seen here.....I believe this blouse belongs to Ade Stevenson.

2 people like this

2 hours ago, Ian Jewison said:

The bit above the tank will be the RAC red/yellow arm of service colours.....as can be seen here.....I believe this blouse belongs to Ade Stevenson.

It is indeed Ade's, a very fine example.

I have  a mint unissed pair in a drawer somewhere.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor