Polux

Group Polizei with Bandenkampfabzeichen

36 posts in this topic

Hello,

As promised, here is a presentation of the group Claus. This group has the merit to be rather complete and to present the commitment of the troops of police on the eastern front.

Here is the first document of this group, the Wehrpass. This document contains, as all the Wehrpass of the men of the police, little registration. This document was opened in August, 1936 during the military period of Claus and allows to discover the photo of him in uniform while he is 21-year-old.

The page 12 of Wehrpass shows that Claus was already incorporated into the police in 1935, Landespolizei Hamburg. He then made a military period from August, 1935 till September, 1936, this within the IR 47, unit of 20. ID.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Following both documents show the participation of Claus in two operations important for Germany before the beginning of the conflict, that is the annexation of Austria in March, 1938 then Sudetenland in October, 1938.

Here is now the Soldbuch attributed to Claus. It is about the traditional model distributed in the troops of police, RPol. Nr. 431.

The page 1 show the rank worn by Claus, Revieroberwachtmeister der Schutzpolizei, but especially it shows us, thanks to its identity disc, its basic unit, which was Pol. Rgt. 12 ; unit formed to Hamburg.

The page 2 show that this Soldbuch was established in June, 1943 to Hamburg. It is about the first document of this type handed to Claus. This type of document having been put into service from 1943.

1 person likes this

Pages 6 and 7 are the most interesting pages and show the military incorporations for the page 6, and the decorations received by Claus on the page 7.

This page 6 is divided into three parts : 

The first part shows from where results the holder of the document, is a member of the police force of Hamburg. 

The second part, middle, shows the spare unit on which depends Claus, is since October, 1943 Polizei-Waffenschule I, Dresden-Hellerau.

The last part, bottom, shows the unit into which is incorporated the holder of the Soldbuch, for Claus I. Pol. Schützen Rgt. 31. There is no date to specify since when Claus is incorporated into this unit but a registration of the page 8 shows that this policeman was already in Russia in May, 1943. Therefore, it is very likely that Claus probably possessed before this Police Soldbuch a traditional Heer Soldbuch as it is the case for another document of my collection attributed to a policeman serving in Russia before 1943.

The page 7 presents 9 decorations, in the order :

1. Medaille 13.3.1938

2. Medaille 1.10.1938

3. Reichssportabzeichen Bronze

4. SA Wehrabzeichen Bronze

5. DLRG

6. EK2

7. Tapferkeitsauszeichnung Ostvölker 2. Kl. Silber mit X

8. Bandenkampfabzeichen

9. Infanterie-Sturmabzeichen Silber

The page 8 is reserved for the fights in which the holder of the document participated. Only two registrations for operations spread out between May and August, 1943. Considering the decorations of Claus, he participated very certainly in other operations which are not mentioned here. It is possible, as it is often the case, as the list of the operations in which he participated was a part of an additional document to be added to Soldbuch or to its military documents.

Here is the detail of both operations :

1) 24.05. - 30.6.43 "Unternehmen Cottbus" Bandenbekämpfung um Lepel / I./Pol. Schtz. Rgt. 31

2) 22.07. - 7.8.43 "Unternehmen Hermann" Bandenkämpfung westl. Minsk / I./Pol. Schtz. Rgt. 31

The page 21 and the following ones are important because they officialize the corrections and the registrations of this Solbuch, generally with the stamp of the unit and the signature of a responsible officer.

The page 22 presents the continuation of the corrections and the registrations of this Soldbuch. The second registration, dated November, 1944, confirms the validity of the decorations of the page 7, number 2 to number 9.

1 person likes this

Very nice set. According to AHF I see that he is one of only two men in Pol.Schtz.Rgt. 31 to get the Bandenkampfabzeichen. Operations Cottbus & Hermann are well documented due to the amount of mass murders that were committed by the German & local troops, including Dirlewanger.

Here is an English translation of the official report for Operation Cottbus... https://www.scribd.com/document/89091937/Translation-of-original-German-document-on-Operation-Cottbus-as-Reported-for-the-Period-of-22-6-43-3-7-43

I don't have any Bandekampfabzeichen related items as such but the closest I have is a Polizei Soldbuch where he was awarded 18 days towards the award which included 5 days for clearing the Bialystok Ghetto.

1 person likes this

However a reason I ignore (maybe further to its hospitalization), Claus received a new Soldbuch in December, 1944. The cover and the front page were modified in the end of the war, both letters SS which preceded the word Soldbuch were scratched and replaced by a stamp Polizei. It is interesting to note that the photo of Claus was overloaded with a stamp of the English military police, you will understand the reason a little farther.

The page 5 of this new Soldbuch presents this time a list of 12 decorations, is :

1. SA Sportabzeichen Bronze

2. DLRG

3. Medaille 13.3.38

4. Medaille 1.10.38

5. Reichssportabzeichen Bronze

6. EK2

7. Tapferkeitauszeichnung Ostvölker 2. Kl. Silber mit X

8. Bandenkampfabzeichen Bronze

9. Infanterie-Sturmabzeichen Silber

10. Nahkampfspange 1. Stufe

11. Verwundetenabzeichen Schwarz

12. Pol. Dienstauszeichnung 3. Stufe 

Here are the diplomas of the last three decorations, numbered from 10 to 12 :

Nahkampfspange 1. Stuff with signature Major Vogt

Verwundetenabzeichen Schwarz with stamp signature von Gottbert

Polizei-Dienstauszeichnung 3. Stufe with stamp signature Meissner  

Claus was to Hamburg at the end of the war and this document shows that he pursued his career in the police !

Here are three pages of the album photo which accompanied this group.

Hopefully this presentation will have interested you :wink: 

Cordial greetings.

Polux

1 person likes this

That is probably one of the best Polizei sets that I have ever seen.

I have uncovered a little bit 'extra' although it may, or may not, be the same person. The post-war Military Government of Germany slip of paper is signed by a Captain E.P. Bellamy of the (I think) Middlesex Rgt. If he was a member of the Royal Military Police attached to the Mx-Rgt then this could be the same person (if not then it is a big coincidence with the same rank, initials and surname and in the same period relating to the Military Police):

Untitled.jpg.31c992e4ef81b5a3416a9975efe88f3e.jpg

(Taken from: Villains' Paradise: Britain's Underworld from the Spivs to the Krays)

A great complete set to a man with a long and dark career in the police.

Do you think those two guys carrying rifles and no boots are police or auxiliary? The middle page left side photo.

Excellent group!!!

It is nice to see another group to SS Pol.Schtz.Rgt. 31. This is all I have at the moment as I cut and pasted three pages to one for a thread some years ago.
Two actions are the same as yours with one additional:

1) 24.5. - 30.6.43 "Unternehmen Cottbus" Bandenbekämpfung um Lepel / I./Pol. Schtz. Rgt. 31
2) 22.7. - 7.8.43 "Unternehmen Hermann" Bandenkämpfung westl. Minsk / I./Pol. Schtz. Rgt. 31
3) 2.9. - 10.9.43 Bandenkampf im Nali Bockawald / I./Pol.Schtz.Rgt. 31
- Unternehmen gegen die Brigade Tschekalow ( Chkalov Brigade in Naliboki Forest )

Operation Cottbus was an anti-partisan operation during the occupation of Belarus starting May 1943 for 6 weeks. Numerous villages were depopulated and burned as part of the operation. The officially communicated result of the operation was that about 9,800 people had been killed.
Operation Hermann was an anti-partisan operation which purpose was to, as much as possible, reduce the number of partisans in the area between somewhat east of Lida and west of Minsk during second half of July 1943, to early August 1943. Operation Hermann took place after the mass murders of most of the Jews in the area, but it must have had a terrible effect on those who had fled to the forests.
Naliboki forest (see the film Defiance with Daniel Craig!) was completely burned down by the Germans in August/September 1943, as part of a massive anti-partisan action code-named Operation Hermann. The remaining inhabitants were taken to Germany for forced labour.

/Ian

2 people like this

This is a very impressive and interesting group! Thanks for showing.

Considering what those guys did during wartime it is almost a bit absurd that someone took care that he at least crossed out the swastika on the frontcover of his soldbuch. As if this tiny and purely bureaucratic act would change one thing.

1 hour ago, Michael1000 said:

Considering what those guys did during wartime it is almost a bit absurd that someone took care that he at least crossed out the swastika on the frontcover of his soldbuch. As if this tiny and purely bureaucratic act would change one thing.

It depends on what the Allies knew about these units and men at the time. After all, if they were aware of the atrocities these Pol.Scht.Rgt's committed would they employ them in the West as policemen instead of arresting them?

True. It just looked so disproportionate. But I did not want to start a discussion about blame.

I can't remember that I have ever seen such a complete and impressive Polizei group. I really like seeing it - very interesting!

Hello,

Kevin : about the list AHF, about ten names are in my collection :wink:. Thank you for the search about Bellamy, very certainly the same man. Beautiful find !

Lee : yes, I think that the men without boot are auxiliaries of police, to see joined image.

Ian : thank you for having presented this extract of a SB of the same unit with the same registrations about the operations against the partisans.

Kentucky and Michael : thanks.

Cordial greetings.

Polux

Hi Stephane

what a killer-grouping!!! Normally I'm not jealous but in this case I would make an exception of the rules :squint:

If you ever decide to sell this grouping, I would be happy to give it a new home:thumbsup:

regards and thx for showing

Walle

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor