Historical War Militaria Forum

Hello all, Would it be possible for somebody to help me ID a British helmet please? I picked this up at the weekend as I liked the paint finish but I am unsure as to whether or not it is WW2? The green finish is textured inside and out, but the markings are faint - possibly SS 41? Does anybody know what the black stripes are too?

The liner has seen better days but stamped CCL 1941 and I think the strap a mkIII?

Any help very much appreciated. Thank you, Shaun

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Looks good to me but I will defer to the experts. The black stripes are from the liner of another helmet when they have been stacked.

Graham

Thank you for this graham - on closer inspection i can make out the fabric marks on the black areas! 

There only appears to be one coat of paint, but i wasnt sure if original texture was not only aplied to the exterior?

thank you again

SS is probably Joseph Sankey & Sons, black rings from stacking as already stated, CCL is Charles Collett Ltd.

I don't know of anything to preserve the liners

a late reply, but here it goes :)  I think you should leave the helmet as it is, use some non-chemical olie on the outside, makes a nice shine and dosent hurt the paint job and just -----

leave it on the shelf :)

Thank you very much for this information gents, apologies for the late reply.

i re visited this helmet last weekend, and was actually able to find some new markings, i belive they are S b 4 1 and BM 43. Has anybody seen these before? I hope that you can make it out from the pictures...

More likely to be BMB (Briggs Motor Bodies) 43 and as it has textured interior that fits with it being  a later helmet.  BMB were were one of the more prolific makers especially mid war on.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Shaun_derbys said:

Ah, thank you jerry, much appreciated.

do you think the colour is right for a 43 army helmet? Thanks again

Yes, looks perfect for army use, a good helmet Shaun.

Thanks so much jerry... sorry to pester, but are you able to id this one at all please?

this has a much smoother finish, despite the pitting, and is more browner colour. Liner is c s & w ltd, 1939. An idea of the theatre?

many thanks again

Thanks very much peterpaul... have you seen the second helmet, i just wondered if you could advise on the paint, theatre maybe? Sorry, it just seems quite glossy to me, much more brown-like...!

thankyou again for your comments

17 hours ago, Shaun_derbys said:

Thanks so much jerry... sorry to pester, but are you able to id this one at all please?

this has a much smoother finish, despite the pitting, and is more browner colour. Liner is c s & w ltd, 1939. An idea of the theatre?

many thanks again

Early war issue, there is some debate on these smooth exterior with a brown tint to them, I have one and I always thought that these were an early army issue, but others contend that these are home front issue, including some of the most knowledgeable collectors, and have to admit that they probably know more than me.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.