Bart V.

My 212. Infanterie-Division / 212. Volksgrenadier-Division Collection

33 posts in this topic

Another interesting purchase this month. A period, self-published (small) literature item of the Infanterie-Regiment 423 called "Nikolaus bei Stab I.R. 423" (Russland 1941). I don't know if there are any more editions for the other years. All information is welcome. This item once belonged to the estate of Leitpold Lemmer, sadly most was broken up. I know his Soldbuch is somewhere out there, I am looking for all tips to acquire it. 

This is the second self-published literature booklet I know of from the 212. Infanterie-Division. The second I know of is "Fünf Jahre zwischen West u. Ost - 212. Inf. Division", again all tips to find this is welcome. I received some more this month, so stay tuned!

Please login or register to see this attachment.

I was able to add a second Photoalbum to my collection and archive.. Actually I just picked up my third today..  but more to that later. I sadly don't know yet to which unit he belonged, most likely the Infanterie-Regiment 316 because of a grave photo with statement "Mein Kamerad" - so I guess he may have belonged to the same unit. Some nice photographs are to be found within the album showing the "Frauenkirche" (Division symbol) on vehicles, some landscape photographs of battlefield (excellent for research) and a few photographs taken on the battlefield. 

I was able to acquire more this month. I was able to add a third Photoalbum, which belonged to Hauptmann Josef Baumetz of Infanterie-/ Grenadier-Regiment 423. I only did found this out after looking through the newspapers that came with the photoalbum and looking through the photographs (matching all information I have), concluding that it belonged to Hptm. Baumetz. Finally I am able to give him a face as well as a few other officers! I also traced - from images I saved from the internet - that Historical-Media did sell two other photoalbums of Josef Baumetz (it was not marked as his - only 212. I.D. - however I identified him several times and the photographs and the writing in the albums are his. He made a few albums depicting various time frames it seems). If anyone has a photoalbum of the 212. Infanterie-Division feel free to let me know. 

I also was able to add another Wehrpass to my collection. Franz Heim belonged to Bataillonsstab der II./ Infanterie-Regiment 423 before being transferred to the 12. (MG) Kompanie/ Grenadier-Regiment 423. I didn't have anything from the Kompanie yet so finally now I do. For me it's an interesting Wehrpass with nice entries. More to that later.

Finally I added two more (single) photographs to my archive.. One which I can't show if ever for publication purposes and is a photograph that was taken during the Ardennes Offensive at Echternach. The second was is a small portrait of soldier wearing Uberschühe "423" (white), indicating Infanterie-Ersatz-Bataillon 423 which was stationed at Neuburg a/d Donau (which is stamped on the back). Many soldiers of the Division came from this Ersatz unit, so not a bad purchase. 

Hauptmann Josef Baumetz died of his wounds on January 7, 1943 which he suffered during the Wolchow fightings in March 1942. When he died he was Kommandeur of the II. Bataillon/ Infanterie-Regiment 423.

Some photographs of the Wehrpass of Franz Heim of Bataillonsstab der II./ Infanterie-Regiment 423 before being transferred to the 12. (MG) Kompanie/ Grenadier-Regiment 423. As said earlier, it is my first ID for this Kompanie but certainly a great Wehrpass! Franz Heim was decorated with the Eisernes Kreuz 2. and 1. Klasse (Posthum), Verwundetenabzeichen in Schwarz and the Ostmedaille, On 1 March 1944 he was promoted to Feldwebel for Bravary! He went missing on 31 March 1944 and died 4 March 1944 (according to VB 6 March). In first line he was a Fieldcook and when in action he was a schwere Granatwerfer-Unteroffizier (?). On March 31, 1944, the Soviets launched several (massive) attacks the front which the 212. Inf. Div. was defending. 

Currently I now own 20 Wehrpässe / Soldbücher of this Division.

1 person likes this

On 2-6-2017 at 9:50 AM, Bart V. said:

Award document from Grenadier Johann Kvetinowski of the 5. Kompanie/ Grenadier-Regiment 423, dated 5. Januar 1945. Earned for actions during the Battle of the Bulge (Posthumously). Since his name is not a common one I thought why not run it through the Volksbund database.. I found a match.. There is only one Kvetinowsky listed.. First name: Johann... Rank: Grenadier ... Killed in Action on December 22, 1944. His final resting place is the Military Cemetery in Sandweiler (Luxemburg). He most likely fell during the attack on Consdorf (just as Georg Jedelhauser a day earlier). Award document is signed by Generalleutnant Franz Sensfuß.

A few days ago I visited the cemetery of Sandweiler (Luxemburg), to visit various graves of the 212. Volks-Grenadier-Division. Especially that of Grenadier Johann Kvetinowski of whom I own the EK2 Urkunde, which he earned posthumously. 

1 person likes this

New addition from a partial trade. Soldbuch from a soldier that previously served with the Kriegsmarine however to fulfill the ranks of the Wehrmacht he was transferred to the 212. Volks-Grenadier-Division.  Equipped with the Sturmgewehr 44, he went to serve in the Regimentsstabskompanie/ Grenadier-Regiment 423. He went missing in/near Berdorf on December 27, 1944. Since he has a POW Number entry in the SB and a small POW paper that came with it, he most likely became POW. Strangely is, that he is still listed as Missing on the monument in his hometown. Letter was signed by Oblt. Rudolf Mütschler

An interesting item with an intriguing end. I wonder if he was one of those who died in Allied captivity from the poor conditions in some of the camps or possibly killed clearing minefields?

1 person likes this

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor