Historical War Militaria Forum
Bart V.

Königsberg Box - full of WP of Festungs-Pak-Kompanie 5/VII

Hello all

What do you think of Ratisbon's newest auction piece? A box filled with over 110 WP from mainly 3 units, of which Festungs-Pak-Kompanie 5/VII. Seems all legit? 

A metal Wehrmacht transportation box with original khaki paint which was found in "Ostpreußen" near Königsberg. It was covered in the ground and contained 1944/45 documents of Fest.Pak Komp.5/VII and 3.Komp.Bau- u. Sich.Batl.161.

There are over 110 Wehrpaßes containing many other additional documents. Many entries and notes, non of the empty late war documents which are very often found. All these Wehrpaßes come with a lot notes and entries, units notes, campaign information and award notes.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

It certainly wouldn't be the first time such a hoard has been found and considering all the paperwork belongs to that unit I can believe it is ok. You have the Halbe Hoard as one example and the one for a Kp in 272.VGD that eventually spawned the Douglas Nash book Victory Was Beyond Their Grasp.

This would appeal to two types of people. The first would be the one who sees the reaserch and historical details/potential in getting such a large documented set  for a specific Kp with the sort of detail you never normally see for what is a hard to trace unit. And the second person is the one who sees the opportunity of making money by splitting it all up and selling off the pieces bit by bit.

So in the coming months, if you start seeing a few WP from this unit appearing on the market you will know the second type of person got it.

This is a fantastic find and I would love to see that it is kept together by the buyer. But there is also the other side of the coin. Once a friend told me that he got such a hoardfind from a Gebirgsjäger unit (don't know where it was found). I asked him if he kept them together and he said no. Initially he wanted but he said after a while he asked himself what he is supposed to do with dozens of GJ wehrpässe which were basically all the same.

Same here - what do you do with 50 Wehrpässe of a Bau-Pionier Bataillon? Personally I would find it a better solution to just make a short documentation of how it was found, a list of the soldiers etc. and give it with every Wehrpass you sell. That way history is not lost and many guys will get an interesting item of an otherwise relatively boring unit. Same with the Halbe box - I am not unhappy it was split but I am unhappy that it was not documented before it was split.

• Like 1

Thanks for your input, which I both can follow. Hope we can document it with this thread. Are there still images out there from the Halbe Box and the one from 272. VGD?

I've never seen images of the 272.VGD one but the items from the Halbe Hoard come on the market all the time, including in the same Ratisbon's auction as that box. And there are images of the Halbe Hoard before the items were split up.

Same transportation box, where these boxes specifically used to store the companies WP and papers? This can become an interesting thread with such boxes finds! Hopefully we can find more images of them.

Ok, here is another picture of the Halbe box. Seems that pictures of the Ratisbons box are in the internet for some time and maybe mistaken for pictures of the Halbe box. But the Halbe box seems to be the same model but the colour is damaged a bit differently.

I have had a few Wehrpasses of the Halbe find though my hands, as for the box you can find these document boxes relatively easy in Germany, I have one in the cellar with all my camping stuff in it!

Interessant find, with indeed a lot of potential of profit for some, I remember the case of the box with papers of SS Div. "30 Januar", found in the 90's. Where exactly, I don't remember : Halbe ?

Here, the two boxes are the same one : exactly same damages on paint.

I hope that one researcher will keep informations or copies of all the papers before they will be separated, like Doug Nash did with the Füs.Kp. 272 lot. His book is the reference book for 272. VGD.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.