Historical War Militaria Forum
Kevin H

Present Day Grave Markers and 'Our' Items

Very recently a collector friend was out in Latvia and working in the vicinity of the war cemetery at Saldus. As I have two items to soldiers in Pz.Gren.Division Grossdeutschland who are buried there he was kind enough to get me photos of their current grave markers. What makes those two items all the more interesting in regards to their current graves is that I also have photos of their original grave markers.

So I thought that I would start a thread (and in line with Bart's thread on Sandweiler) so if anyone has an item to a KIA serviceman (of any nation) and they also have their current grave marker please share the two.

• Like 1

The first soldier served with Pz.Art.Rgt Grossdeutschland and was acting as a Forward Observer when he was killed by Soviet artillery fire in Latvia in 1944.

595f7363377e7_BRNER003.jpg.1fd6f581d1540a52d2013c5420f52dc5.jpg595f7367e8c72_BRNER010.jpg.62d131c98c29a814dbf74cbcf859de29.jpg

This is the photo of his original grave marker that would of been sent to his family.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

And this is the present day marker at Saldus with his name at the top.

• Like 2

This soldier was serving in Pz.Fus.Rgt GD when he was also killed in Latvia in 1944. He was posthumously awarded the Ehrenblattspange.

595f74131394c_Class010.jpg.ea3a2dfb2a2dbb87017602f940b16fe0.jpg

This is the photo of his wartime grave marker.

And this is the current grave marker at Saldus, a grave he shares with 3 unknown soldiers.

• Like 2

Nice topic. These are my entries.

This man was a member of FJR16. He was KIA on March 1st 1945 in the Hochwald during Operation Blockbuster. As you can see his grave is very modest. There aren't even dates present. You can see his presentation here: http://www.historicalwarmilitariaforum.com/topic/11190-fjr16-kapelsche-veer-hochwald-kia-soldbuch/

• Like 2

This man was killed quite close to Fiedler on March 10th 1945. He was a member of Grenadier-Regiment 1226. What is special about this grouping is that the WASt sent his items to his parents (including his bloodstained Soldbuch and bottom part of the Erkennungsmarke) in 1948. He is buried in Mönchengladbach. There is also a photograph of his grave in the ~1960s-70s. You can see his presentation here (scroll down for an updated story): http://www.historicalwarmilitariaforum.com/topic/5387-bloody-kia-ruhr-pocket-obergefreiter-soldbuch/

• Like 1

And a small entry of a death card. It is special to me, because he was killed really close to my hometown on the day the town itself was liberated. He was likely a member of the 256. VGD. As you can see he was buried near the town's church. He is now buried at the small town of Ysselsteyn: https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sint-Petrus'-Bandenkerk_(Oisterwijk)

• Like 1

My input. EK2 document I have for a Grenadier that fell during the Ardennes Offensive on 22 December 1944. He is buried in Sandweiler. 

• Like 1

And the last one is not a real grave, but a memorial erected by the Volksbund. He is still MIA in Russia like so many. He was a member of FJR1. This memorial stands at the relatively new graveyard of Kursk-Besedino. The photo (which is also my avatar) was taken at his family home in Mannheim.

1Pu4D6k.jpg

• Like 1

Ludwig Linner (btw: both Fallen are 212 VGD)