Historical War Militaria Forum
Pierce F.

Silver War Badge- Records Query

Dear friends,

Just a query as to what the cause of discharge was for these soldiers?

Does "Sickness para 392 (xvi)" refer to a particular sickness or wound?

Any help with this would be appreciated.

Kind regards
Pierce

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Sometimes they specify wounds and in some cases it is possible to find out exactly what the wound was, but in many cases all you get is sickness, which can be many things, often old soldiers were just simply no longer fit enough to serve, whilst others with minor wounds were transferred to the labour corps for lighter non frontline duties.

For this mans medal trio, I was lucky enough to find his service papers which give the full reason for his discharge.

4 hours ago, Pierce F. said:

That's amazing Jerry. Are sign up and discharge papers available for WW1 veterans?

Sadly many were destroyed during the Luftwaffe bombings during WWII, I think only a small & survived and it is only a matter of luck if those for any soldier you are interested have done.  I think about %10-20 of the medals I own have surviving service and/or pension records for them.  It really makes a difference if they have survived.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pierce F. said:

Thanks for your reply Jerry. I am trying to track down a relative's service history but it is proving difficult.

Some records are on Ancestry, whilst others are on some of the other similar sites, forces war records or the national archives site, the latter is good for war diaires which sometimes give good info on what the regiments and battalions were doing, even naming individual soldiers if you are very lucky, though officers tend to be much better represented than other ranks.  I have a war diary mention by name of  a soldier being wounded, which is very rare as he was a sergeant.  He is also mentioned with a photograph of him in a local newspaper.

I only use ancestry but do not have an account any more so can only search MIC's except when they have free searches every now and then.

• Like 1

I had a look through ancestry.co.uk myself during one of their "free days" but could find nothing of relevance with the exception of the MICs. My ancestor had an uncommon surname so there were less than 10 MICs of interest to view. From that I could remove those killed or missing leaving me with about 5. This may all sound good but without knowing which regiment he joined I can whittle it down no more. The sign up or discharge papers were my next port of call. If that's a dead end is there anything else I can do to narrow my search further? 

Just today I have written to the National Archives at Kew as well as a local historical society in Ireland where my ancestor was born. Another spanner in the works is that he may have joined up while working in Glasgow which begs the question did he join the Scottish Highlanders or an Irish Regiment.

Without some other info to narrow your search, you will I think struggle to go any further.  Without his medals or other link to a regiment, or photo's of him in uniform.  Was there no service papers surviving for any of those with his name?  they would say where he was from ,age, parents name etc

I am afraid there were none of those things for him that I could find- but the search continues.

One of the names I have has the SWB associated (first post) and I am wondering if this was him as we know he was wounded. Was the SWB given to all those wounded or just those that were discharged for whatever reason?

Was there anything given to wounded soldiers- for example an equivalent of the German Wound Badge?

if your man was wounded and you found a swb for him, that might be him, though unless he was discharged because of his wounds he would not get one.  The UK did not give an equivalent of a wound badge.

12 hours ago, Jerry B said:

if your man was wounded and you found a swb for him, that might be him, though unless he was discharged because of his wounds he would not get one.  The UK did not give an equivalent of a wound badge.

Thanks for the clarification Jerry.

10 hours ago, Graham said:

Jerry. There was the wound stripe, worn vertically on the lower sleeve.   

Very interesting Graham. I assume though that this type of stripe would not be noted on a Medal Index Card?

Thanks
Pierce

Of course Graham, I forgot about the stripe.  Do you know much about them, how and why they were awarded etc?

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.