Historical War Militaria Forum
alfonz

soldbuch to a member of Panzer Brigade 107

Hi all

I am new to forum

This is a soldbuch to Gefreiter Franz Wallnberger who was member of Panzer Pionier Ersatz Bataillon 33 kompanie 4 which was part of the 15th Panzer Division and entered Africa on 15th  January  1942 .He was part of Pionier-Bataillon (motorisiert) 900 which was Army troops under the DAK. He was entitled to Africa pay form 15.1.1942 until 6.9.1942. After a short period in hospital (dysentery) and convalescing he was transferred to  Kompanie Ersatz Bataillon 208. He was promoted to Gefreiter on 1st July 1943. On the 19th October 1943 he was exempt from wearing a steel helmet because of injuries from grenade fragments. On the 18 April 1944 he was provided with the ‘Afrika’ armband. He was given the medical code 31 b –injury with hand grenade or mortar from 24 August 1944 to 16 September 1944 and he was in the Reserve hospital Pudewitz Posen East Prussia on 1st September 1944 and the Reserve Hospital Bad Harzburg 12th September 1944. On the 22 September 1944 he received the wound badge in silver (probably first wound in October 1943 and second wound August 1944). Last unit found is Panzer Pioneer Kompanie 2107 (Pz.Pio.Kp.2107) which was from 9th October 1944 which was part of  107th Panzer Brigade which was formed on 28th July 1944 with its first Commander being Major Freiherr von Maltzahn.

My question is this if you see the last wound entry on 16 September 1944 for grenade splinters- does it mean that he missed the action against allied forces in the famous/infamous Operation Market Garden near Venlo with a bridgehead over the Son canal

Please login or register to see this attachment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, alfonz said:

Hi all

My question is this if you see the last wound entry on 16 September 1944 for grenade splinters- does it mean that he missed the action against allied forces in the famous/infamous Operation Market Garden near Venlo with a bridgehead over the Son canal

Welcome to the forum and thanks for showing what looks to be a nice Soldbuch. To answer your question, yes he did miss Market Garden. He was actually in hospital from 24th August 1944 all the way through to 12th October 1944. After that I would imagine that he would of gone to an Ersatz unit to recuperate before being reassigned to a front line unit (if he was ever transferred to a front line unit again as his last unit was Pz.Pi.Ers.Btl 208 at Rathenow.)

Thanks for reply Kevin

I am still a little confused  asI see that after he was sent to the ersatz battalion 208, he was sent to Panzer regiment 2107 (page 17) which I think was part of 107th Panzer Brigade. Am I right in saying that this brigade saw action in Operation Market Garden?

That brigade did, yes but he was in hospital until mid-October 1944. Follow the arrows in the attached image that shows how he was transferred from one hospital to another until 12th October 1944 - you can even see where it says he is being transferred by a Lazarettzug, and finally transferred from Harzburg to Baden.

He would of missed the fighting during Market Garden but might of been involved in the fighting around Overloon in mid-late October 1944 but as Pz.Brigade 107 was dissolved in early November 1944 he wasn't with them for long and after leaving them it looks like he went to the Pz.Pi.Ersatz.Btl 208.

Which unit authorised the award of the Afrika cuff band?

Ah makes sense -thanks Kevin

It looks like it was Pz.Pi.Ersatz.Btl 208.  issued 18 April 1944.

If he was part of Pionier-Bataillon (motorisiert) 900 in Africa which division were they allocated to and where would have seen conflict in Africa?

Thanks again for all your help Kevin

I have a number of soldbuchs and wherpass (es-plural ?) and still learning to decipher and research. I willpost more on forum in future. It is a pity I cant load a number of pic at the same time.

Cheers

Sven (Alfonz)

Hello Sven,

Thank you for your post. It looks like a very nice soldbuch although he didn't saw action during Market Garden. I haven't seen a Pz Brig 107 soldbuch in all my years of collecting. After Market garden the Brigade was active in the Overloon area, like Kevin said. In November the were transfered toward the Elzass.

I have a wehrpass from a Panther crewmember who served in the 2nd Kompanie/ Pz Brig 2107 during Market Garden and was awarded with the PAB in silver for his actions during Market Garden.

Here is a page about Pi.Btl 900. DAK isn't really my area I'm afraid so the page will give you more details that I can although I think it was part of 90.leichte Division...

Pionier-Btl 900

9 hours ago, alfonz said:

I have a number of soldbuchs and wherpass (es-plural ?) ...

Cheers

Sven (Alfonz)

Plural - Soldbücher & Wehrpässe

Hi Kevin

Thanks for corrections and info with regards to Pioneer Battalion 900.

I look forward to posting more books and engaging with this community.

Cheers

Sven

Hey Erwin L

I will do my best but I am struggling to post pics as it keeps telling me they are too large. Also most of the stamps are very faded. The soldbuch is not in the best condition. Here is a copy of the best I could find.

Thanks Erwin -I really looked closely but to no avail- they are all either Pioneer Ersatz Battalion 33 or Pz.Pi.Ers.Btl 208 at Rathenow.

Did you know there was a Panzer Brigade 107 collector called Floris Westera -he advertises his need for any soldbuch from Panzer Brigade 107- Kampfgruppe Walther- documents or information on the Wehrmacht.Awards.com.

Hello Sven,

Thanks for your answer. From your scan from page 17 Feldtruppenteil C is the only entry of "Pz Brig 107 / Pz. Pi. Kp 2107". But for me it is difficult to tell if there is written Pz Brig 107 / Pz. Pi. Kp 2107. It could also be Pz Brig 101 / Pz. Pi. Kp 2101 which has been crossed with a line and now it looked like 107. Difficult to tell from this scan

Yes, I know Floris very good. he is a good friend of mine

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.