Historical War Militaria Forum
alfonz

soldbuch to a member of 18VG Division

Hi all

Here is a soldbuch to Stabsgefreiter Gerhard Schulze. His units were Sturm Pio. Btl. 43; G.R. 29  and he receivd the award of  Sturmabzeichen (10/40). The soldbuch does not have too many entries but any help with the hospital entries would be greatly appreciated. I am wondering where he had been between 1941 and 1944 . I am also struggling to read the entries on pages 14 and 19 .

Thanks for the help

Some info that I found : The 18th Volksgrenadier Division was set up in Denmark on September 2, 1944, by the renaming of the 571st Volks-Grenadier Division, which was placed there, as a substitute for the 18th Infantry Division. The 18th Volksgrenadier had been manning the West Wall fortifications in the area since October. The volksgrenadiers had had time to become familiar with the sector, but many were recent replacements. The division cadre came from the 18th Luftwaffe Field Division 2 that had been ground up in battle near Mons in late summer. Replacements came from Luftwaffe and Kriegsmarine units, soldiers returned from
hospital and convalescent leave, and recent drafts of civilians combed from factories and farms by tighter conscription laws. The division's six infantry battalions were reinforced by an assault gun battalion, plus mortar, and rocket artillery units. Further artillery support was available from LXVI Corps, and Fifth Panzer Army.
Bereits im Oktober 1944 erfolgte die Verlegung in die Schnee-Eifel zur Vorbereitung auf die Ardennen-Offensive. Already in October 1944 the transfer to the Schnee-Eifel took place in preparation for the Ardennes offensive. Bei Beginn der Ardennen-Offensive am 16. Dezember 1944 lag die Division am rechten Flügel der 5. Panzerarmee nordwestlich von Prüm. At the beginning of the Ardennes offensive on December 16, 1944, the Division was on the right wing of the 5th Panzer Army, northwest of Prüm. Von hier aus durchbrach die Division die amerikanischen Stellungen nördlich von St. Vith. From here the division crossed the American positions north of St. Vith. Anschließend drehte sie auf Malmédy ein. Then she turned to Malmédy. Nach Abbruch der Ardennen-Offensive löste sie die 1. SS-Panzer-Division ab. After the break-up of the Ardennes offensive, she defeated the 1st SS Panzer Division. Die anschließenden Rückzugegefechte führten aus dem Gebiet südlich von Malmédy über Stavelot bis zum Westwall nördlich der Schnee-Eifel beiderseits Kronenburg. The subsequent return flights led from the area south of Malmédy via Stavelot to the west wall north of the Schnee Eifel on the other side Kronenburg. Mitte Februar 1945 wurde der Divisionsstab aus dem Divisions-Verband herausgelöst uind Kommandant der Stadt Bonn. In mid-February 1945, the divisional staff was removed from the Divisions' Association and the commander of the city of Bonn. Die Rest-Teile der Division kamen zur 26. Volksgrenadier-Division. The remaining parts of the division came to the 26th Volksgrenadier-Division

Please login or register to see this attachment.

• Like 1

the first hospital was because of some belly problem...  not a wound, but some sort of a problem...  the others are very hard to read, but it dosent seem to be wounds from combat...

I got it, the first trip to hospital was due to Magenkatarrh --  flue and gastritis...

second trip in 41 was a number 20 illness, which is "diseases of the lid and the conjunctiva" which is illness of the eyes..

I cant make out no 3, but the last entry seems to be the Magenkatarrh once again

Sturm-Pi.Btl 43 distinguished itself well during the 1939 Polish campaign and was awarded the 'Sturm' title after the 2-Kp assaulted the fortress at Brest-Litovsk. For the 1940 western campaign it was attached to Inf.Rgt Grossdeutschland and took part in the vital breakthrough across the Meuse near Sedan and was also involved in heavy fighting on the heights near Stonne and at Chemery which would be why he received his Sturmabzeichen. It looks like he left Sturm-Pi.Btl 43 long before it was absorbed in to GD proper in 1942.

As for what was he doing between 1941-44 you will need to show all the pages with entries on, including the Urlaub pages, so that a basic timeline can be formed.

Hi Kevin and PeterPaul

Thanks PeterPaul for translation of medical treatment- He does not seem to be the healthiest of fellows.

Thanks Kevin I will post further pages, particularly the urlaub pages. It is interesting to see that he was part of a respected battalion. It makes me think that there might have been more to Gerhard Schulze than there is in his soldbuch.

Any idea as to what is written on page 19?

Cheers

Sven

These pages for pay and urlaub might help.

Thanks again for all the help.

From 1942 to 1944 it looks as if he served away from the front line in training units and Grenadier-Ersatz units.

all his holidays seems to be of the "erholungs urlaub" kind, that is a normally given holiday..  not for prolonged combat duty, but usueally given....

he has one "lehrgang Erholungsurlaub" which means he gets a holiday after finishing some kind of a training..  besides, he is a payment group 12 so he was an Feldwebel at that time...

i think Kevin is right about this guy serving as an instructor of staff of an training unit...

Thanks Bart and PeterPaul

Yes I see sturmabzeichen in 15 November 1940 but second entry and date difficult to read. Date looks like something like 15 February 1941 (I think?). Where would he have been at this time for an award?

Thanks again guys

Sven

No, it doesn't say Silver Wound Badge, it says "Sturmabzeichen" . The second date seems like the date the entry was written into the Soldbuch by the officer, thought it could have been an award entry which faded away.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.