Historical War Militaria Forum

I'm going to try and restore this M40 with original liner and chin strap and may be give a simple coat of paint, I don't know just yet..

I don't think it's in a too bad of condition and it was dug up quite recently.

I haven't received it yet and will add updates to any work done to it :thumbup:

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Three pins have now been added.

Now for a M40 Liner... if I can find a original one :ohmy:

Hi,  if you can try and find the maker, and size stamp the is located on the left side, and located inside apron, below and inline of the side vent hole, try and wet the area with water so the stamp can stand out.  If you can make out who made it, then I can check out Brian Ice book on helmet codes and see if it's list and what branch of the Army forces it belong to. 

Also you shouldn't have any problems finding a original liner for your M40 helmet as there are plenty out there.

Lou

Liner now added with out the pins.. for now :smile:

Hi,  there may be a problem with that liner, as can you tell me we're there is colour showing is it reddish brown, as it looks like it on my screen, if it is then these liners were use by the Norwegian Army Post War.  

Lou

Yeah on my screen it looks a real deep reddish brown, and if so that is what colour that was used by the Norwegian Army helmets.    Can you take a clear close up in natural light of that section showing the colour, I just want to make sure that I am not giving you a problem.  

Lou 

It's not a problem Lou, thanks for your help. It's a lot darker than in the pictures, may be it's the flash that makes it brighter.

These are about the best I can do, in normal light you can't see the reddish colour, as in the first picture here.

Yep for me that is reddish brown, and looking at it more, and more, also it looks like the rest off the darken area off the leather has been messed with some kind of leather conditioner, and now I am leading to the liner being  used in helmets used by the Norwegian Army.   No big deal if you didn't pay top dollars for it well it still does the job, and matches the worn condition off the helmet.   

Now with the factory/size markings, well as you said that you due to it's poor condition the stamp has disappeared, well as you know these stamps are hammered in with metal dye's, and leave a indent in the metal, so if you want, and have one of the hobby Dermal tool, you can use one off the sand disks for metal and just slow apply to the area were the stamps are and that will bring out the indents, I have done it to a couple of my relic helmets, and if you take care sanding the area it really won't damage the helmet, and over a period of time the area darkens up.

All the best in the rest off your restoration of the helmet,

Lou

Cheers Lou, it didn't cost much to be honest and I wanted the "worn" look more to add the helmets age.

I'll keep an eye out for a genuine "old" liner, I'm in no rush.

I'm getting another chin strap and it's a very old one too, and cheap :smile:

Lou, I've had some pictures of the Liner on another Forum and this is what I've been told:

"Look at the liner rivets - they are the FLAT aluminium type used by the Germans and NOT the DOMED brass ones the Norwegians put in after dying the leather".

So it could well be a genuine Liner :ohmy:

Mate, I have repaired a few lids over the years, as I have over 30 lids, plus a few relic's in my collection, and with the leather pins I seen them in brass, and aluminium, also I have seen Norwegin liners with the same flat head pins, and my understanding that German leather liners were dyed reddish while they were still in their frame, and not removed.  

Anyway I am just going on the reddish colour of the leather, but saying that I have seen some darken German leathers, but what gives me the if's is that how the rest of the leather has darken, and to me I've seen this when someone puts on leather conditioner and that gives it that oily dark colour.   Either way as you said you didn't invest much into it, and it gives you the look you want, plus its still a liner that was use back in that time frame.

Cheers,

Lou 

• Like 1

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.