Historical War Militaria Forum
Bart V.

Erkennungsmarke Unit Question

I have a question about this Erkennungsmarke, I'm interested due I first read "Sanitats-Kompanie 212" however there is an "L" before San, does it mean the unit is "Luftwaffe-Sanitats-Kompanie 212" or "leichte Sanitats-Kompanie"? What does the L mean? Thanks in advance.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

I would have said light in this case checked Lexicon and while there is a 97 and 212 without the light designation there is nothing that high number wise within the Luftwaffe. If you check the lexicon it states 97 Light infantry, perhaps they hung on to the 'light' designation when reformed or regrouped to 212 although it stated nothing about that and some of the links are 404 not found.

Best 

Rich

23 hours ago, Richard Auld said:

I would have said light in this case checked Lexicon and while there is a 97 and 212 without the light designation there is nothing that high number wise within the Luftwaffe. If you check the lexicon it states 97 Light infantry, perhaps they hung on to the 'light' designation when reformed or regrouped to 212 although it stated nothing about that and some of the links are 404 not found.

Best 

Rich

I also guess it may be for 'leichte', thanks for your input. May I assume that scratching the 97 and adding 212, means it is 'now' for the Sanitäts-Kompanie 212?

21 hours ago, Bart V. said:

I also guess it may be for 'leichte', thanks for your input. May I assume that scratching the 97 and adding 212, means it is 'now' for the Sanitäts-Kompanie 212?

I would have thought so due to the possible regrouping, I have a few discs that are modified either reissued or restruck on joining a new unit.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.