Historical War Militaria Forum

On ‎18‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 1:25 PM, Warnach said:

4. That a Hauptfeldwebel signed a VS-document is not exceptionnel.

The Volkssturm had officially only 5 ranks (Bataillonsführer, Kompanieführer, Zugführer, Gruppenführer and Volkssturmmann).

Many of the Wehrmacht personnel in Berlin were used to “upgrade” the many drafted VS-Bns. These men kept their Wehrmacht ranks.

Hello Friends

I made a mistake. The man who signed here was not a Wehrmacht reïnforcement, but a Volkssturmmann (most likely a Gruppenführer) who was assigned to the position of  Hauptfeldwebel. (so this is not a rank !)

Each Volkssturm Kompanie had its Hauptfeldwebel (AKA know as der Spiess) this man was responsable for assisting the Coy Commander with organisation, discipline and administration.

5a11d04693757_Hfw-Komp.jpg.34466bcbc66cb710573c9ab1a59f5a8b.jpg

You can see an "a" and a "B" put before his signature, meaning "auf Befehl ". When the commander wasn't available the Hauptfeldwebel could sign documents and with adding the "a. + B." it was clear for the reader that it wasn't the Kompanieführer who had signed ...

Hfw.jpg.16460bd3bf78d8c7367ebf8a935af0a3.jpg

the "D" after Hfw.- means Hauptfeldwebel-Diensttuer (meaning that the man who held the position had not the right rank or qualifications but nevertheless was assigned to "do the job" )

I found another example in the literature where the Hauptfeldwebel, without given orders, dismissed his Volkssturm-men ... 

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Take care,

Peter

• Like 1

Hi Peter, my main interest is the Volkssturm too :)  Very interesting to see some indepth on the Berlin VS, unfortunatly it is rare to find anything about VS in company seize...  Many battalions are mentioned, but it is rare to find accounts...  But there is some

On ‎21‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 4:25 PM, PeterPaul said:

Hi Peter, my main interest is the Volkssturm too :)  Very interesting to see some indepth on the Berlin VS, unfortunatly it is rare to find anything about VS in company seize...  Many battalions are mentioned, but it is rare to find accounts...  But there is some

Hello Peter Paul,

You're right ... VS-Kompanie level documents aren't that much out there.

These are the only ones I have with the Kompanie mentionned.

Take care,

Peter

5a1e446b85da3_VS-Kp.jpg.c5e5074a71aa21712b668594aebab2ad.jpg

• Like 1

On ‎18‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 1:25 PM, Warnach said:

The VS-Bns 3/19 and 3/11, most likely engaged in Verteidigungsbereich Berlin – Abschnitt Kommandeur B counted after the battle for Berlin not less than 135 MIA.

Of course this should be "... Abschnitt Kommandeur C ..." (and not "B"  :unsure:)

5a20495c36a73_GefechtsstandAbschnittC-2.jpg.37ffad1d7b0a164ddeebe6ed3640427d.jpg

Regards,

Hello friends,

I found some time to do some further research ...

Hello friends,

I only collect "Battle for Berlin" related - paper - , but this one I couldn't let go and I bought it ... (Kragenspiegel Bataillonsführer Volkssturm)

0..jpg.b0be76abb4e8056944bc8d50358c4add.jpg 2..jpg.61558a74e15acf65c099de3054f420f8.jpg

As it is an (scarce) original, found in Oranienburg; ...  it still has a "battle for Berlin" - link.

Oranienburg was part of the außere Sperrzone des Verteidigungsbereich Berlin ...

Take care,

• Like 1

What about the "Freikorps Adolf Hitler" ? As you know there is a mention of them in a combat situation in Berlin ? Not much to go on on this extremly late unit, but as far as I have found it it was a preposal of dr. Ley to Hitler in late march of 1945...  Each Gau was supposed to find volunteers in the party(or associated)ranks and send them to the battlefield...  I have found some mention of combat engagements of this FAH but only thing in Berlin is the story from the Panzer Bear...

The "Freikorps Adolf Hitler" is one of those obscure units that were created those final days.

Not much is known about it.

I just found some "MIA" from this unit .

The Feldpost number 64300 was given to this unit (source KANNAPIN) on  April 20th (!!!) 1945.

An other source (Klaus BÖHM) gives April 14th 1945 as date of "handing out" this FpNr.

In any case, ... many letters with this Feldpostnumber are not likely to be out there !

Take care,

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.