Historical War Militaria Forum
Bart V.

Show us your Best of 2017 !

2017 is coming to an end, so an excellent thread can't wait any longer. What is your most prized collection piece you acquired this year or maybe is still underway? Feel free to share! Doesn't have to be only one.. I can't chose either. It can be any type of militaria and time frame.

Here some of my favorites:

Estate of Ritterkreuzträger Rolf Stiegert
Soldbuch of Emil Koch (Buried in Helenenberg, fell in February 1945)

I recently also acquired of 300 negatives from Infanterie-Regiment 316 with some beautiful images inside, so also excellent for my upcoming book(s) project(s), another Soldbuch of Divisions-Füsilier-Bataillon 212 (with a signatur of Oblt. Krevet who earned the Nahkampfspange in Gold) so also priceless for me, my first überschuhe "423" and so on.. So hard to chose, added so much wonderful to my dedicated collection. You can see more here:

Please login or register to see this attachment.

• Like 1

My best 2017 purchase  is pretty small, but nevertheless very special for me.

This "SS" Ribbon bar, possibly LAH, assembled by Godet, Berlin:

• Like 1

After looking closer I observed the red identification plate belonging to a Lt. General. Those were generally used on a vehicle he was using. Do you have any information who that belonged too ? 

Been thinking about this and I have to say my best or favorite purchase of the year has to be these cast, made in India, 26th Hussars badges. I have certainly bought more expensive items this year. These were an antique fair bargain. I suspect the group trace the WW2 career of one man. The 26th Hussars were raised in India in 1941 and these badges, known as the 1st pattern were made in India.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Kentucky6 said:

After looking closer I observed the red identification plate belonging to a Lt. General. Those were generally used on a vehicle he was using. Do you have any information who that belonged too ? 

No idea, but I can ask a contact who served with him in Vietnam if he knows anything.

Another nice addition for 2017 was this photographic set to a Bordfunker and DKiG holder from 7./Kampfgeschwader 1 "Hindenburg".

Consisting of a very nice photo album which covered his time in training in the RAD, service in the Heer and eventually training in the Luftwaffe.  Really nice content, plus the album is in excellent condition and all the seperating 'onion-paper' pages are present.

The set also has many loose photos which include some stunning portrait photos (some of the nicest I have seen) plus photos of his Flugzeugfuhrer (an RK winner) and crew, and numerous aircraft images and Luftwaffe personnel.  Really excellent content.  It is safe to say he certainly liked having his photo taken!

Lastly, is a colourised large framed portrait photo of the man wearing all his awards and his Flieger Dolch.

A really nice photographic set which I am very pleased with.

Regards Richard.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LRRPS said:

Very nice, Richard. Do you know if he survived the war or not?

To be honest, I do not know as of yet.

I haven't started the research piece yet as it has only been with me for a short time however, I do not think he is listed on any loss returns 

Regards Richard.

44 minutes ago, StGeorge64 said:

To be honest, I do not know as of yet.

I haven't started the research piece yet as it has only been with me for a short time however, I do not think he is listed on any loss returns 

Regards Richard.

Richard, just take a look at the back of one of the wedding pictures. You'll find a date on there which will probably answer the question. (for the others: I am the former owner)

2 hours ago, Paulus_Gun said:

Richard, just take a look at the back of one of the wedding pictures. You'll find a date on there which will probably answer the question. (for the others: I am the former owner)

Hi Paul

Yes, I think March 1945 from memory (the photos are not here with me at the moment) is written on the reverse of one of the wedding photos, which would lead me to believe he probably saw the last few weeks of the war out, especially as he is not listed on any loss returns.

Regards Richard.

Also got a few British groupings this year, but sadly none came with the awards. Here are my two favourites.

First one to John C. B. Ellis, awarded an immediate MC for actions in Italy on 9-12th October 1943

Second to Denis H. Donovan, awarded an immediate MC for actions in North Africa 20th April 1943

• Like 2