Historical War Militaria Forum

Guys.

Got this last night from a friend.

Looks to be the original paint although someone has replaced the liner tie with a bootlace.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Did you find any stamped markings on the liner, they are usually dated & size marked, but not always.  Hard to see the colour/paint in your pics.

There are markings but I would have to carefully move the liner. It appears quite fragile. I will have a go tonight.  The colour is a dark brown. I will try for a picture in natural light but at the moment I go to work in the dark and come back in the dark.

• Like 1

Would need closer pictures of the paint work, but suspect this is a post war repaint as dark brown wasn't used until 1943, but yours might have slipped into that category. The liner might be WW2, or late 40's early 50's.

It appears the lace was a loose bootlace and the original tie is still fitted.  The date looks like 1945 for the liner? I have taken two pics of the shell one with and without flash, still not helpful as it is very grey overhere just now.

I would say the helmet was refurbished post war, repainted and with new liner. That liner maker is a post war one, late 40's early  50's, a good give away is the size and broad arrow on the cruciform pad.

Well on closer inspection I would have to say the liner date stamp is 1940 so that does not fit with your info on the maker?  It appears to be a 2 over a straight line and then 1940 below the line, I confused part of the line as being the top of a 5 or three which it is not.

Jerry, what are your thoughts as this is more your bag?

Quite often seen, a fake date put on an post war liner, which is a shame, as it is now not one thing or the other.

On the rubber buffers of the liner which face the inside of the helmet, are there serial numbers on them?

There is a patent number on them,  PAT.543287 with the numbers below the PAT. I will try for a picture but my skills are not the best.  The stamping of the date looks to be done as one ie not a seperate date added.  That would mean the stamping is completely fake.  What is there in terms of reference on British helmets out there.  I know the German stuff is quite well documented? 

6 minutes ago, Richard Auld said:

There is a patent number on them,  PAT.543287 with the numbers below the PAT. I will try for a picture but my skills are not the best.  The stamping of the date looks to be done as one ie not a seperate date added.  That would mean the stamping is completely fake.  What is there in terms of reference on British helmets out there.  I know the German stuff is quite well documented? 

Pat number, only used on post war liners. Ive been caught out over the year's, your not alone.

The only reference on Brit helmets is here, and other forums on the net.

Thanks for the tip, I will remember that in future as it is quite easy to take them apart unlike the German ones.  No loss it was a gift from a German pal that does house clearance, I will check the rest of my Brit stuff. I will also ask him where it came from exactly as it may be interesting to know. I know you say it is a fake date is put on a liner but this looks like it is properly machined onto the liner if they are now doing that to such a high standard to British stuff as well on such low cost items it is very sad for the future of the hobby as a whole. 

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.