Historical War Militaria Forum

Do the white circles on this helmet mean anything like this or did they perhaps not get round to putting red crosses on it?

Please login or register to see this attachment.

• Like 1

Sorry for delay...my money would be on an unfinished Re-enactor piece??? (for red crosses) although I'd like to see more of the helmet (stamps, liner etc) to determine the helmets source/age etc

A lot of shapes were applied to Brit helmets...especially on the Home Front...circles, diamonds, squares...but rarely on four sides.....the only one I've seen other than Red Crosses is attached...and that's obviously not a combat helmet...and it's possibly post-war. Military lids, other than those marked with Red Crosses, sometimes had flashes / badges on the sides...but these were usually the particular badge of the Regiment / Division and if they weren't a specific badge they'd usually be rectangular.

sorry for joining the party so late.......

Please login or register to see this attachment.

• Like 1

I have never seen that.

At first glance it looks like an incomplete red cross helmet, but I was looking into it and it seems that the circles with the red cross's were larger then the ones shown in the picture. I think that I agree with 2 Black Bands that it is an incomplete re-enactor helmet. 

Some pictures of the lining would be useful as well. 

good day.

The size of the circles is an interesting point.....I've never found a formal "spec" for the size of red crosses or the circles they were applied to...but then again, thinking about my Home Front lids, even where there WERE rules they weren't always followed  ?

They may vary in size, but the circles on the helmet are much, much smaller then anything that I have seen, and after examining other red crosses, there was a big difference between the circles in the helmet pictured above and the majority of the others.                                                                                                                                        

You made a good point, that the standard was not always followed through. With out a picture of the liner, it will be difficult to determine what the time period the helmet is from. 

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.