Jump to content
Historical War Militaria Forum
carlyoung

WMF Silver plated dish

Recommended Posts

I also received this piece with the collection of German military items I bought and was looking to learn a little about it.

It is  German WMF dish with a strange monogram on the front , I assume it is connected to the ww2 but I don't know how.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a couple of bits of silver with the same marking. Sadly for the most part they are not LAH they are Happag Lloyd shipping company the give away is the dates normally as they predate the TR period.  Happag shared the same loggo as LAH so they are often sold at inflated prices to the unwarey.

Rich

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Richard Auld said:

I have a couple of bits of silver with the same marking. Sadly for the most part they are not LAH they are Happag Lloyd shipping company the give away is the dates normally as they predate the TR period.  Happag shared the same loggo as LAH so they are often sold at inflated prices to the unwarey.

Rich

Hi Rich

 

Thanks for the reply , the manufacturers mark on this dish is WMF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Carl,

With this sort of item I think it is down to what the individual wants to believe with no good way to proove it right or wrong?  It could still be Hapag too? The items I have I bought as Hapag, I don't think I would buy a piece being sold as LAH unless there was a rock solid provenance for the piece as the cost would no doubt be rediculous.

best

Rich

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Richard Auld said:

Carl,

With this sort of item I think it is down to what the individual wants to believe with no good way to proove it right or wrong?  It could still be Hapag too? The items I have I bought as Hapag, I don't think I would buy a piece being sold as LAH unless there was a rock solid provenance for the piece as the cost would no doubt be rediculous.

best

Rich

Hi RIch. I think Hapag lloyd was a merger of two companies that only happenned in 1970. This piece pre dates that. More research needed.

Thanks Rich

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes Carl,

That is the modern day company but of the two that merged the Hapag side traded with that logo from the 1890s as Hamburg American Line or words to that effect HAL?

The basic problem is that a lot of silver and EPNS stuff is out there and there is no shortage of period WMF as well and logos can be added to order, particularly these days as technoligy is always improving.

I hope it is ok but at the end of the day it does not matter as long as you are happy with the piece that is all that is important.

Rich

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Richard Auld said:

Yes Carl,

That is the modern day company but of the two that merged the Hapag side traded with that logo from the 1890s as Hamburg American Line or words to that effect HAL?

The basic problem is that a lot of silver and EPNS stuff is out there and there is no shortage of period WMF as well and logos can be added to order, particularly these days as technoligy is always improving.

I hope it is ok but at the end of the day it does not matter as long as you are happy with the piece that is all that is important.

Rich

Thanks again Rich. Still research to do if possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

Guest
You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×