Historical War Militaria Forum

Starting to think this does not make sense as the 11th section were close to the Black Sea in Romania if Lexicon Der WH is correct?!

Please login or register to see this attachment.

A collision with the rear turret of a Lancaster might explain the British ammo in the otherwise clean site? I will have to look at the parts and see if any could be from an allied plane?

There was a possible load of 10,000 rounds (a shit load of ammo) I.E. 2500 per gun. If an enemy aircraft collided with the turret I suppose it was possible a bit of all that link was taken by the impact?

What are the chances, however small, that there are two crash sites in the same vicinity, not necessarily from the same night but one German night fighter and one British bomber or a Mosquito intruder?

Looking in the Nachtjagd book mentioned before there is no mention of NJG-6 being involved on the 28/29th January 1944 night raid but in the pilot listing it does mention Gunselmann as being killed on 29th January 1944 when his aircraft crashed near Celle and it confirms his unit as 11/NJG-6. In the book it does mention however that on the 29th January 1944 the night fighters of NJG-6 (although no mention of IV Gruppe) were vectored on to a daylight raid of the 8th Air Force that were attacking Frankfurt and lost 6 Me-110's. The 6th loss was a possible collision with a friendly aircraft while two P-38 Lightnings also collided and came down near Laudert.

Kev, I am trying to make some sense of it, I must visit the Bergen archives and see if there is anything about a downed allied plane, I don't think it is likely though as most of the old locals would have mentioned it by now. They all know about the B17 circa 800m as the crow flies but nothing else? It is so frustrating as clearly 3 bodies were recovered and a fixed date and time established? 

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.