Historical War Militaria Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Hunter67

Unknown WW1 Brodie helmet markings need help

Here are some pics of this great helmet it also has three small holes along both sides . Any info would be great thanks !

Please login or register to see this attachment.

I hope that you see this, you may not, since I am very late, but that may have been possibly been there to hold the helmet onto the belt. The helmet is clearly a Brodie helmet, which was developed by the British. 

Some german soldiers did a similar thing, they put a small hole in the strap to carry it on they're belt. Although, the holes look like they came out of the factory that is maybe what they're intended use was for. 

I cannot imagine what else the use of them may have been, though it may also not be a British helmet since the Brodie was used very widely.If you could provide a picture of the lining then that would be a good indicator as to what country the helmet is from, thus giving somewhere to look as to what the definite use of the holes are. 

Until we have a definite conclusion I am going to estimate that the use of the holes shown in the picture is to hold the helmet by a string to the belt, so that the soldier did not have to wear it all the time, which would have been annoying.

Another estimate is that it is not a military helmet and is maybe a civil defense helmet, the civil defense had a lot of symbols on they're helmets, and there is a symbol on the front shown in the picture.

• Like 1

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this