Historical War Militaria Forum

Hello friends, I am able to buy one, several or all from these 11th Armored Division patches. Seller says these were found in a battledress in Holland and were theater made? Are these original (WWII)? On the internet I find other examples (but not stated if post war, repro...) so I need your expertise. What do you think?

Please login or register to see this attachment.

At the earliest, liberation of the nederlands autumn 1944, or early post war

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jerry B said:

At the earliest, liberation of the nederlands autumn 1944, or early post war

Does liberation of Antwerp fit in for this patch?

Do you have a (example of) patch that dates before autumn 1944? Thanks @Jerry B

Cloth isn’t my forte, at all.

However, I would be inclined to agree with Jerry’s thoughts. 

These two  11th Armd Div patches belonged to a 24L Trooper  (first intake of conscripts in late December 1940 through to disbandment in early August 1944) that landed in Normandy and upon the 24L disbandment, he was attached to an armoured replacement group within the 21st Army Group.

Both of these patches are of British manufacture, the felt example being probably the most identifiable for the 1944/1945 wartime period concerned - it’s the one I have seen the most in 23H/24L family groups.

*Note mine are dirty, worn and slightly discoloured. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Marcus H, I'm jealous. So for my Antwerp period, it would be better to wait for an example like yours and not to take on of the patches I've shown above (for displaying the period Antwerp, Sept. 44)?

Also should the bull look to the right of left ? Or were these worn on both arms?

Hi Bart,

The Bull should face forward on both arms.

So my top patten example (one of a pair) was worn on the right arm and the bottom (again a single of a pair) example on the left arm.

Best,

Marcus 

• Thanks 1

Personally, I  believe you’d be best suited with a British issue and made pattern, yes.

That said: I don’t know for certain, hence, I will seek the opinion of a collector of such div patches today for you.

Best,

Marcud 

• Like 1

Thanks Marcus for your help. I see so many versions so it would be nice to know which I should have for the Sept 44 period, thanks for asking assistance.

I see various (so many variants !!) versions here for sale, don't know if one is between them, that is dated correctly for Sep 44:

1. https://www.heartsanddaggers.co.uk/british-cloth-badges/804-british-army-11th-armoured-division-formation-sign.html

2. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/An-Original-Military-WWII-11th-Armoured-Division-Formation-Cloth-Badge-5026/263714751157?hash=item3d669fc2b5:g:PGIAAOSwevdaCbsG

3. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GOODGENUINE-BRITISH-ARMY-11-ARMOURED-DIV-PRINTED-FORMATION-BADGE/173073467134?hash=item284bfb86fe:g:JDAAAOSwFb5aTPOo

As pretty much explained by Marcus and Jerry, the Div signs in the 1st post are 'Brabant' weave. A type of weaving used post Liberation. Bruno Boulanger in his book 'ww2 British formation badges', grades them as R2= Less common. 

Graham.

• Like 2

Bart, as Marcus and Graham state, best to wait for the Uk made types as those you show were only made sometime after the liberation, probably winter 44 at the earliest.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.