Historical War Militaria Forum

Hi guys,
can you please help me ID the 2 awards of Admiral Hermann von Fischel?
1 Could it be the Stern of the Spanischen Orden für Verdienste zur See or Spanisch-Marrokanisches Mehdauia-Orden? (he was awarded both of these awards)
2 Is this the Kriegsabzeichen für die Marineartillerie?

Please login or register to see this attachment.

You have more information on this than we do.   With limited photographic images to compare, this gentleman you shared seems to be a more portly gentleman than what Wikipedia and other sites show for this man.  Are you for sure that this is who this could be?

Just asking.

JustinG

6 hours ago, JustinG said:

You have more information on this than we do.   With limited photographic images to compare, this gentleman you shared seems to be a more portly gentleman than what Wikipedia and other sites show for this man.  Are you for sure that this is who this could be?

Just asking.

JustinG

Yes, I am 100% sure it is Hermann von Fischel on the photo.

The photo was taken in France, and Fischel was the Kommandierender Admiral Kanalküste.

On his right pocket he is wearing the Spanienkreuz in Gold mit Schwertern.

I just want to identify the awards number 1 and 2 on this photo.

No. 1 is like one of the Spanish Orders but it is not detailed enough to determine.

For No. 2 I would advise you to make comparisons with the KM badges, and again, look at his career to see if he would be entitled to such a badge.

16 minutes ago, Pierce F. said:

No. 1 is like one of the Spanish Orders but it is not detailed enough to determine.

For No. 2 I would advise you to make comparisons with the KM badges, and again, look at his career to see if he would be entitled to such a badge.

Thank you Pierce.

Regarding No. 2: The quality of the photo is bad but you can clearly see the inside of the award to be separated in half (empty space on the top and filled space on the bottom) - just like the Kriegsabzeichen für die Marineartillerie (see the photo below). Only the barrel of the gun isn't visible, but that may be due to the poor quality of the photo.
Secondly, Fischel was the Marinebefehlshaber Kanalküste and then Kommandierender Admiral Kanalküste, so I guess that would make him eligible for the Kriegsabzeichen für die Marineartillerie. It was often awarded to Admirals serving on coastline duties (to my knowledge).

Would you agree with these 2 points (the award itself and Fischel's command post)?

Your theory holds water. However, another war badge that is cut-out is the Destroyer Badge. Review his career and see which fits better and also study the photo again.

The Coastal Artillery Badge is a good guess I think, but the photographic evidence is thin on the ground at present.

Pierce, I a came across this better photo of Hermann von Fischel.

Would you now agree the circled award is the Kriegsabzeichen für die Marineartillerie? I can clearly see the coastal artillery gun in the center of the badge. Compare with the photo of the badge I posted above.

Thanks

15 minutes ago, Pierce F. said:

Still not overly clear, unfortunately.

I agree it's not the best quality. But I think we can for sure rule out the estroyer Badge you suggested earlier. The part of the ship would stick out of the badge on the left side.

• Like 1