Historical War Militaria Forum
8683jb

MSA helmet liner help?

I’m hoping to get some clarification on a high pressure M1 helmet liner I have. It’s an MSA with khaki suspension webbing, an M.S. & S.M. sweatband and black non-magnetic A washers. Sounds like WW2, but there is no grommet over the front rivet. I have read various articles on these, and somewhere I read that the lack of the grommet may have occurred in some WW2 liners. However, most articles state that the grommet is in all WW2 liners and then deleted in post-WW2 liners. I’ve also read that MSA ceased making liners at the end of the war, so if it’s MSA it’s WW2. But other articles say MSA, along with Westinghouse and Capac, resumed making liners for the Korean War. Can someone clear this up for me? I appreciate any help. Thanks!

There is often a date stamped onto the piece, or is that just in the outer steel shell?, sorry, I don't own an M1 helmet, but it does sound like a post WW2 liner. If you can find a date stamp then that would obviously conform the date, but I am thinking maybe a Korean war era helmet, someone else with more experience in the U.S M1 would be able to give a more confident estimate.  

Hope you find out for certain, have a good day?

Thanks Ethan. The only reason I think it might be WW2 is the khaki suspension. If it wasn't for that, I wouldn't think twice that it's post-war. Either way, I'd still like to know about the grommet and if MSA did make liners later on.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.