Historical War Militaria Forum
Brodie Lt

Brodie type and branch identification

Hello everyone,

I have bought what I consider to be a MK1 *, is that correct? This brodie is marked with the lettres BMB and the year 1939. The liner is the MK1 * type I think. The helmet was initially painted in kaki green as it is visible inside the shell and in some moment the exterior was painted black.

I have a couple of questions. I've notice there are various examples like mine which where repainted on the outside in black, I would like to know what it could be the reason of that.

secondly, if my helmet was used in the home front, was this shell virtually the same one british regular troops used in combat? I wonder whether it had the same ballistical properties than the regular soldiers helmet for mine was produced by BMB in 1939 and it hasn't any hole denoting it was weaker and so relegated to home front rather than front line.

Many thanks for your aid

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Hello brodie,

nice helmet,MKI for sure.

I think,the most air-raide or home-front helmets are painting black, because for the darkness.

Even so, they used army-helmets als well, it's wat you can get at that moment!

Please excuses me, if the info is not right, and sorry for my bad engilsh writing.

Greetings, Rudi

It's an Mk2 No.1.not an Mk2 No.2 (1-4 holes in the brim) meaning it is made of manganese steel, and if it were painted in textured paint on the outside, would have been issued to the military. Being smooth khaki green inside and out means it was used on the home front, when in early 1939 they tried to standardize ARP helmets, they painted them black from the factory. Hence others that were painted khaki green, but not always followed, were over painted black. That's why you see so many with khaki green paint on the inside, but black,white (promotion), or other colours on the outside.

On 10/19/2018 at 5:56 PM, R&S said:

Hello brodie,

nice helmet,MKI for sure.

I think,the most air-raide or home-front helmets are painting black, because for the darkness.

Even so, they used army-helmets als well, it's wat you can get at that moment!

Please excuses me, if the info is not right, and sorry for my bad engilsh writing.

Greetings, Rudi

Thanks Rudi!

1 hour ago, TinLid said:

It's an Mk2 No.1.not an Mk2 No.2 (1-4 holes in the brim) meaning it is made of manganese steel, and if it were painted in textured paint on the outside, would have been issued to the military. Being smooth khaki green inside and out means it was used on the home front, when in early 1939 they tried to standardize ARP helmets, they painted them black from the factory. Hence others that were painted khaki green, but not always followed, were over painted black. That's why you see so many with khaki green paint on the inside, but black,white (promotion), or other colours on the outside.

Many thanks TinLid! ??It is exactly what I was expecting to read, that my helmet was probably an ARP helmet but with military standars of protection. 

Is there any clue why is the helmet painted black on the outside but without any trace of lettres or symbols? Did ARP members use black helmets without it too?

Much appreciated

Probably some did not add their letters, or other helmets were not used by the ARP service.

24 minutes ago, TinLid said:

Probably some did not add their letters, or other helmets were not used by the ARP service.

Excellent ??. If you had more war period photos like this one with black helmets without lettres I will be delighted. By the way, do you know the reason why those helmets where black painted? Maybe because of blackout in order to avoid being seen at night from the air during blitz? Just guessing. 

Many thanks

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.