Historical War Militaria Forum
Brodie Lt

SP lettres under black paint layer in my mk2. Any idea?

Hello,

I have noticed there are some lettres under the black paint of my brodie. They are almost impossible to show on a photo, but there they are for sure.

It is a 1939 BMB which was firstly painted kaki green in the factory. Then, in some moment the exterior was painted black (just only two layers, the original green and the black one) but between both processes in the front and the back of this helmet were added the lettres SP, which I don't know the meaning.

Does anybody know the meaning of SP in these helmets?

Do you think those lettres were painted when the helmet was still green? Are there some examples of it?

thak you in advance

Most likely Stretcher Party, as used in London only. The rest of the UK  F.A.P. (first aid party/post)

Please login or register to see this attachment.

43 minutes ago, TinLid said:

Most likely Stretcher Party, as used in London only. The rest of the UK  F.A.P. (first aid party/post)

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Many Thanks! Stretcher Party then, I suppose those who carried wounded or killed people in this case in the city of London. How interesting. 

Could be any reason by which the SP is under the black layer? Maybe it was used firstly by a member of SP and painted on the original kaki green, and in some moment it was repainted and used by let's say wardens or something like that. It would be interesting to know more about its story.

What do you think?

Thanks again

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.