Historical War Militaria Forum
13starsinax

German Dog Tags Erkennungsmarken help

Hello,

Long time lurker, and decided to get to actually utilize this site. You guys have an extreme depth of knowledge. I have long been a coin collector of German Empire and Third Reich coins, but recently I have got some ww1, ww2 tags. These are some ww2 era .I would appreciate is you guys/gals could help me. I have spent 8 hours on different sites, and googled every possible image I can. I will post more pictures of some others, but if you could please get me started on these-that would be awesome. Of course are they real, and then the breakdown of abbreviations, please. The das reich is kind of obvious. The second one is -tank hunter, but I can not find all the other information.

Thank you all for your help and assistance.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

I'm not too sure we have many in this section with in depth knowledge of EKM's. Try the Heer, Kriegsmarine section which is just above this one on the main page. Hopefully you'll get your answers there.

Thank you

can you please tell me how to cross post this thread there. I know some forums you can not cross post, and I am new here so do mot want to upset a mod. 

Not sure about either, I tend to avoid the exotic ones as they are well copied now. Kev is normaly good with abreviations and the second one makes no sense to me as yet. I will have a look tonight on night shift.

Well, I can only offer my opinions.   I am highly suspicious.  These are commonly faked as several have posted and you probably encountered in your previous searching.  The punches are all too fresh especially the Das Reich version.   These discs are not too hard to come by and with a good metal embosser/hydraulic press you  could make these with little work.  If you are happy with them, then that's what counts.   For trying to sell, these will cause many to become skittish. 

Best Regards,

JustinG

1 hour ago, JustinG said:

Well, I can only offer my opinions.   I am highly suspicious.  These are commonly faked as several have posted and you probably encountered in your previous searching.  The punches are all too fresh especially the Das Reich version.   These discs are not too hard to come by and with a good metal embosser/hydraulic press you  could make these with little work.  If you are happy with them, then that's what counts.   For trying to sell, these will cause many to become skittish. 

Best Regards,

JustinG

It seems very difficult to distinguish these "fakes" until you get your hands on them,  but who can really prove fake? I have been trying to find matches via image searches and I can not find the clones of these.

6 hours ago, 13starsinax said:

It seems very difficult to distinguish these "fakes" until you get your hands on them,  but who can really prove fake? I have been trying to find matches via image searches and I can not find the clones of these.

There is the problem, I have original blank discs out of the ground and original punchs, that said even the SOF blank discs are very good, lets face it, it is not one of the hardest designs to copy. Sorry we were busy last night on what should have been a quiet night. I will inbetween preping for a new kitchen try and have a look over the next couple of days.

Rich

3 hours ago, Richard Auld said:

There is the problem, I have original blank discs out of the ground and original punchs, that said even the SOF blank discs are very good, lets face it, it is not one of the hardest designs to copy. Sorry we were busy last night on what should have been a quiet night. I will inbetween preping for a new kitchen try and have a look over the next couple of days.

Rich

I am just happy to be getting feed back. The SS ones early on had all same letters on the backside as they were all machined that way, in the beginning

Thanks a lot, you have given me more to interest to get into these then..

There is a dealer in Germany that may have information on these. I think I have seen these for sale on his website. Ratisbons. 

1 minute ago, Kentucky6 said:

There is a dealer in Germany that may have information on these. I think I have seen these for sale on his website. I will look the name of company and get back to you.

Awesome, Thank you very much.

No problem.

Long on to their website, convert to English and the contact information is on the website. He has great militaria from Germany. If you call from the states make sure your cell phone is activated for international service or you will get slapped with a big bill for calling Germany. Like I did.

7 hours ago, Kentucky6 said:

No problem.

Long on to their website, convert to English and the contact information is on the website. He has great militaria from Germany. If you call from the states make sure your cell phone is activated for international service or you will get slapped with a big bill for calling Germany. Like I did.

I did it, and linked this thread. I appreciate it, and hopefully we can all learn something. I will share whatever information I receive.

On 12/6/2018 at 7:57 AM, Kentucky6 said:

Great, let me know what he says. It would be interesting to see what he has to say..He does not wish to comment.

He replied this morning, and I appreciate him taking the time to do so,

Ultimately, his response was that,   he did not wish to comment at all on the pictures I sent him.

So with that said, can anyone please critique these for me? It is fine the outcome, but not really sure why he wouldn't comment, or is there a back story here I do not know?

I am appreciative of his reply, here are the 2 replies from him

1} Thanks for your email.
Sorry, Im not a member there and can’t see any pictures.
Please send the pictures replying to this email and let me know your question.

Kind regards / Mit freundlichen Grüßen

2} Thanks for your email.
Sorry but we try to avoid SS tags when we can. This is a minefield. I prefer not to comment these. Thanks for understanding.

Kind regards / Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Politics. Pure bull shit German politics and EU politics. They are all scared to death to say anything now days. They don’t want to be labeled right wing anything or be labeled a racist for giving a comment on a mundane historical item. Frau Merkel really has screwed that place up lately...

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.