Historical War Militaria Forum
Richard Auld

EK2 with original ribbon and safety pin?

Guys,

I have another one like this somewhere, I am sure the pin would have been used during the award ceremony?

Rich

Please login or register to see this attachment.

• Like 1

I do not think the safety pin is period. I have seen fasteners on other pieces  most commonly I have seen figure 5 most common and figure 2 on ribbon bars and other medal attachments of the time.  The EK2 and ribbon are nice examples.  Personally, I would remove the pin and display without safety pin.  The pin and or guard could mess up the black paint in the cross.  Just my opinion.

Best regards,

JustinG

On 1/1/2019 at 6:39 AM, JustinG said:

I do not think the safety pin is period. I have seen fasteners on other pieces  most commonly I have seen figure 5 most common and figure 2 on ribbon bars and other medal attachments of the time.  The EK2 and ribbon are nice examples.  Personally, I would remove the pin and display without safety pin.  The pin and or guard could mess up the black paint in the cross.  Just my opinion.

Best regards,

JustinG

That's an interesting observation and something I've never thought of before so will need to check the WWI crosses with safety pins I have. Thanks for pointing it out.

I do have a period WWII pin used for awarding the EK2 to the badly wounded, not expected to survive. I only know this because I have the paperwork and my wife's grandfather was the medic authorised with keeping both crosses under lock and key. He brought them and the paperwork home when the Lazarett closed in 1947. Only one of the crosses was ever used, I imagine it was used again and again.

Anyway, attached are a couple of pics, one of a 1916 patent pin and one of the WWII style just for reference.

Either way, that's a cracking cross you have there Rich and great to have what looks like the original ribbon too. Perhaps the safety pin was used at a wedding or photo opportunity between the wars? They were still being issued post 1918 as far as I know but for how long?

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.