Historical War Militaria Forum
Sign in to follow this  
RA8945

Identification Required (If Possible)

Hello All

I have been a lurker here on these forums for a little while now, this is my first post.

I was hoping somebody with a keen eye, and much more knowledge than myself,  would be able to identify the uniform in this picture. The picture is of my family and was taken around 1905 (according to my Grandmother) the picture includes her grandfather and his father, the man in question is my Great Great Grandfather Herbert Young.

The information i have on this man from researching family history is that he was born in 1880 in the Bradford area of the UK and would be around 25 in this picture. Through looking into where the medal could have originated in that time period i think it is from the Boer War, as i do not believe at that time any other medal could have been awarded with so many bars. My Grandmother has told me she believes he served with the Cold stream Guards but i found no H Young on the Boer War Medal role i found on the National Archives. I did however find a H Young on a plaque dedicated to the West Yorkshire Regiment (Prince of Wales Own) Leeds volunteer Rifles. I would not like to say that this was him without a little further evidence and would love somebody else more learned opinion than my own, the picture isn't the greatest quality but any input or direction for my research would be greatly appreciated. Thank you 

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Collar badges are wrong for the coldstreams, also I think they have the buttons in pairs.  Medal is a QSA as you surmise and the uniform is correct for the Edwardian period

Collars are grenades, RE or RA or perhaps less likely one of the Fusilier regiments, though for most of the fusiliers you would be able to see a device on the ball.

Hard to add more detail as the features needed are not clear enough to say.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this