Historical War Militaria Forum
Richard Auld

A late war unexciting group Second issue SB

Guys,

As stated above, best bit is the well worn cover.

There are minimal entries, that is the main reason I have taken it as it is an ideal candidate for enhancment by the forgeres.

Rich

Please login or register to see this attachment.

The Feldpost number on the small travel document is for Luftwaffe-Jäger-Regiment 34 so it looks like he was transferred over from the Luftwaffe to the Heer late in the war. The Jäger-Rgt was formed in the West in 1943 (part of Luftwaffe-Feld-Division 17) and was destroyed in September 1944 fighting against the British & Canadians. He was transferred to the Heer and ended up in Hungary with 711.Infanterie-Division.

I had to laugh a little at your title to this post.Perspective is  amusing at times.To a beginning/entry level collector this group would be hot stuff,to us its "unexciting". Giving you due respect for saving this from the forgers!! What are we,really? We are all merely temporary curators for the next generation.We pay a lot of money to do it and no mistaking the passion in each of us.However we are just temporary curators.Perspective can not interest one but not another.For example,at a show in Denver in October,I bought a war time appointment book for $5 that the other collectors I was with thought I had wasted $5 .The translation I have done so far it is a salesman's appointment book.What grabbed my attention and made my heart go pitter patter is the book is for the year 1945 and the last entry is in April 1945,blank the rest of the year.The minor historical significance just captured my imagination and I had to buy it. 

You know what I mean though, no entries, yes it's ok and it is unique to that individual, I should like to have seen his lufty soldbuch (thanks Kev)!. I also enjoy the unusual and not neccessarily valuable items too. As you state one mans rubbish is another mans treasure! The main thing it is now in the file and not the bin. I did get it from a local dealer but it cost nothing, a trade for some of my old NATO junk! My concern was the blank serial number on page 1.

Rich

11 hours ago, Richard Auld said:

My concern was the blank serial number on page 1.

Rich

I've only ever had my hands on one Soldbuch so perhaps a silly question. Is it unusual for the serial number to be missing and can the number, if present, roughly confirm the date of issue?

Yes it is always filled in normaly it just gives them another area where they could perhaps use or generate a suporting document. They are very active and imginative over here.

• Thanks 1

On 1/13/2019 at 12:41 PM, Kevin H said:

The Feldpost number on the small travel document is for Luftwaffe-Jäger-Regiment 34 so it looks like he was transferred over from the Luftwaffe to the Heer late in the war. The Jäger-Rgt was formed in the West in 1943 (part of Luftwaffe-Feld-Division 17) and was destroyed in September 1944 fighting against the British & Canadians. He was transferred to the Heer and ended up in Hungary with 711.Infanterie-Division.

Interesting. Ant it matchs with the "Fécamp" railways station, who was in the sector where Lw Jg. Regt. 34 was at that time.

His driving licence also shows he was originaly a Lw soldier

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.