Historical War Militaria Forum

Hello members,

I'm a collector or predominantly British Commonwealth medals (all periods). I also wish to stress that I have been out of collecting since the early 1990's.

I have in my collection a nice grouping of awards to an Australian Pilot from WW1.

My question is: The recipient never mounted his medals and only ever wore his mounted miniature group with the full size left as issued. Should I have the group refurbished and mounted for display or is it better to leave them as the recipient did ?

Thanks in advance.

Milo 👍👍

I always leave mine as they come to me unless the ribbons have been replaced with the horrible stiff feeling modern copy stuff.  I have never had any of mine mounted but I know a lot of collectors do.  Perhaps keep the original ribbons and have it done if you want, therefore you could return them to as found.

Thanks for that - the way it is at the moment, it really not doing it justice. I do have original silk ribbons / ribands for all the awards (not the modern horrible ones), I feel guilty about mounting them but I feel I'm disrespecting the importance of the group and the man.

I'll probably concede and mount them (eventually) 🤔

Thanks for the input 👍

• Like 1

I agree with Jerry.

I haven't even mounted my grandad's medals but this group is yours so do as you see fit.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.